Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood after wiping

Blood after wiping

Hello

I am currently going through a bad anxiety bout. I have been jumping from one thing to the next, getting the all clear, then panicking about something else - typical anxiety symptoms I know.

However I have been worrying about bowel cancer recently: I have lost weight (but didn't eat much at all during a particularly stressful time a few weeks ago and since then my appetite has been up n down. I was also getting the odd pain in my right side. I went to the doc who was not at all concerned and was feeling ok. Then the day after my appointment I went to the loo and after wiping I noticed a spot of bright red blood on the paper. It wasn't much and I didn't see any anywhere else. Of course, after worrying about BC the day before I completely freaked out. I tried to rationalise by telling myself it was probably from wiping too hard.

I went to the doctor yesterday who examined me and said I had a pile and that was the cause of the blood. I was so relieved but since then the doubts have started to kick in. She was running very late and was very stressed when I saw her. So I'm wondering if she saw a pile and just assumed that it was that.

Now it gets really bad...since then I have been checking constantly (not even when I go to the loo) and every time I do there is blood on paper. I have been poking around and prodding and know that this will probably make the bleeding worse. I am trying hard to say that if I keep getting the blood when I rub tissue there, then it's proof that I have a pile that is bleeding. But I can't stop checking. I am now scared to have a bowel movement in case i see blood in the stool, which will just send me over the edge.

I know I sound crazy, but has anyone else experienced this or got this anxious about it? My hubby says I need to trust the doctor. But what if I see blood in my stool? What if the bleeding is not coming from the pile? What if the initial blood was actually because of BC and the rest has been caused by me prodding, making it sore and the doctor not realising?

Please if anyone can help me be rational I would really appreciate it.

Re: Blood after wiping

Be aware that toilet paper can be quite rough and can actually irritate perfectly healthy but sensitive tissue. This has definitely happened to me.

We have hundreds of posts about this so please do have a read of the threads in this sub-forum.

It will be a pile bleeding and very unlikely cancer.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Have you tried any cream or suppositories for it? Very helpful, and you can buy them over the counter. Try to eat well too, as getting constipated or having diarrhoea can aggravate them. Try not to strain, and definitely quit poking, prodding, and wiping too much.

Thank you for taking the time to support me. I’m not at all worried that I have a pile; it’s the thought that the bleeding may not have had anything to with the blood. The constant checking has made me sore, but my anxious brain is saying that I’ve caused more bits of bleeding, but the original bleeding was from BC and I’ve given the doc a red herring.

Its exhausting - the constant arguing in my mind��

I have the exact same thing going on at the moment- right down to the self-examination induced soreness. But your dr actually sore a pile - I think you can relax.

Totally understand. I was just thinking that if you treat the piles and find the bleeding goes away, you might feel more able to accept that was the cause. You may still find it bleeds now and again, but treat it each time and hopefully you can nip the anxiety in the bud too.

Thank you both.
    Swan, I will look at getting a cream if the soreness doesn’t go. I know what you’re suggesting is a sensible idea; just got to get myself to trust the doc.
    JoJo, sorry you are also going through the same. I hope you have managed to be calmer than me😏

x

I am still anxious about the blood. Logically I know it is coming from a pile, but I am still caught in a cycle of checking and ruminating. I keep thinking that I am now 50, so it's much more likely to be BC. I dread going to the loo, but each time I have looked in pan and all seems fine - the blood is a very small amount, fresh and only when I wipe and I have been checked my a doctor. I also spoke on the phone to another doc who also reassured me. I'm now caught up in the most irrational thinking - if I see blood when I prod or check I can accept it is a pile, but then I worry that the initial blood was from BC and subsequent blood is from me messing with it. The other thing is that I am scared to go to loo in case I see blood in the actual stool which I know will send me over the edge.

I am due to go on holiday today and really don't want to spoil it for anyone else. I want to not check AT ALL while I am away, because if I see anything I know it will ruin the holiday. However, I know that each time I have checked poo in the loo over the last 5 days it has looked fine and this has given me great relief until the next time I need to go. Do you think it will be a good idea to literally not check at all while I am on holiday? Or could I miss something? I will get lovely relief if each day I don't see anything, but if I did...

I am sorry for repeating myself, but I just wanted some advice.

Thank you x

Quote Originally Posted by flatterycat View Post
    Do you think it will be a good idea to literally not check at all while I am on holiday?
    Yes, I think that would be a good idea. Think of all the people who've had some sort of blood in their poo who don't have HA and don't check. They still notice if they bleed. If it's bleeding, you'll notice it anyway. There isn't any need to be checking and checking. Get that cream, keep using the logic you've written above, and have a lovely time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information