Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Migraines

Migraines

I have had the misfortune of suffering from migraines from as long as I can remember... the classic aura followed by the thumping headache and finally feeling/being sick. I usually get these every few months...sometimes as long as one every 6 months .... until this week!

In 7 days I have had three migraines and it痴 knocked me for six. I have booked to see my GP next week but I知 already spiralling and talking myself into having something bad.

Has any long term sufferers seen such drastic changes in the frequency of there migraines? I知 wondering whether age/hormones could be a trigger. I work all day on a PC so having these migraines so frequently is a nightmare.

Thanks for reading and hope there are others out there who can offer some words of wisdom before my Drs appointment!

Re: Migraines

Oh goodness yes! I went from having aura twice a year to at least weekly, and sometimes up to three times a day!

Have you tried quitting caffeine?

I have migraines and usually get "cluster attacks" where I'll have them day after day (this isn't actually uncommon).

Do you have any triggers? What medication do you take when they occur?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

When I used to suffer with them, I found that they got much worse if I ignored the initial aura problem. So if I tried to carry on working and power through, I would then get the aura in the other eye and feel completely wiped out for the rest of the day. Does this sound familiar to you?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Oh goodness yes! I went from having aura twice a year to at least weekly, and sometimes up to three times a day!

Have you tried quitting caffeine?
    Hi Blueirus

I only tend to have one cup of coffee in the morning, I may try giving that up to see if it makes a difference.

I知 glad to hear I知 not the only one in this boat!

Xx

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    I have migraines and usually get "cluster attacks" where I'll have them day after day (this isn't actually uncommon).

Do you have any triggers? What medication do you take when they occur?
    Hi radioGaGa

This is a first for me having the cluster attacks, usually they are pretty sporadic and I will have one every few months.

One major trigger for me is sunlight or being caught off guard by someone closing a car door and it reflecting the sun. Stress is another one.

I have never been put on medication just given pointers on how to manage but I知 off to the docs next week because they seem to be changing in frequency.

Xx

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    When I used to suffer with them, I found that they got much worse if I ignored the initial aura problem. So if I tried to carry on working and power through, I would then get the aura in the other eye and feel completely wiped out for the rest of the day. Does this sound familiar to you?
    Hi Scass, totally rings true with me! I ignore the aura at my own peril! I have learnt the hard way and now stop everything I知 doing including working when I get the aura and take myself into a dark room. Usually I can lessen the effects if I sleep for a little bit

Xx

Quote Originally Posted by Cariad1 View Post
    Hi Scass, totally rings true with me! I ignore the aura at my own peril! I have learnt the hard way and now stop everything I知 doing including working when I get the aura and take myself into a dark room. Usually I can lessen the effects if I sleep for a little bit

Xx
    Glare used to effect me too.

Cariad1

Interesting triggers you have - mine are mainly lack of sleep, dehydration and alcohol.

Don't worry yourself about the increasing frequency - it will definitely be nothing sinister. The only time a headache could be something to worry about is if its a type of headache you've never had before e.g. You suddenly start getting tension headaches when you've never had them before. And even at that, the chance of it being anything sinister is something like 1 in 500,000!

Aspirin usually works wonders for migraines

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thanks everyone for responding to me

I had yet another migraine attack this morning so decided to go to my walk in centre to see if they could prescribe something to help break them.

The dr was really good,looked in my eyes/strength test/ following her finger with my eyes and she said she found no concerns there. What she did find was high blood pressure..... high enough to cause concern so she wants to have it rechecked next week and if no improvement the next step would be medication. She thinks the blood pressure could be triggering the migraines.

She痴 prescribed me sumatriptan for the migraines and at first sign I have to take one... hopefully this will help!

Xx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information