Thread: Flying anxiety – is it worse on budget airlines? Looking to book.

Flying anxiety – is it worse on budget airlines? Looking to book.

I would say I have flying anxiety, rather than a fear, as I do still fly. It's annoying though that I fly so infrequently that by the time I've managed to cope with a flight (and felt good about it) a year or so passes and the anxiety resurfaces again.

I tend to convince myself that if I fly with a non-budget airline (such as BA) that I will feel more comfortable and calm, rather than flying with Ryanair or Easyjet. I suppose I tell myself that if I feel like I'm surrounded by a bit of 'luxury', then I'm less likely to be scared. I also find myself worried that on budget airlines, the staff may be less polite (and I'd rather be around polite people if I feel anxious etc).

However, I'm hoping to go on a holiday next month which would involve a three-hour flight. The BA flights are almost double the price of Ryanair and EJ. Please could someone tell me if my feelings are unfounded? e.g. Can the budget airlines be just as good as BA?

It's so tempting to just not bother going away at all or to stick to the UK!

Thanks! :-)

Re: Flying anxiety – is it worse on budget airlines? Looking to book.

Hi ClipClop.

I totally get what you mean about feeling safer on the more upmarket airlines, though I usually fly with budget airlines nowadays. I've flown Easyjet and Ryanair lots of times and they're totally fine. Cabin crew have been equally as kind and helpful. I totally freaked out on one Ryanair flight and they were wonderful - gave me free brandy and took me into the cockpit after landing to chat with the pilots.

There are a couple of things I tend to do which make me feel more comfortable about it. Sometimes I'll book priority boarding, and I always book a seat with extra legroom, usually over the wing or by the front exits. Somehow it just helps! I also tell the cabin crew I'm a nervous passenger, and they keep a bit of an eye to reassure you. Just be aware this can mean they don't like you sitting in an exit row for take off and landing, although I've never been moved and tell them I'll be fine.

Safety-wise, European skies are amongst the safest in the world as the EU aviation regulations are incredibly strict, so all airlines flying in European airspace have to abide by their rules, Easyjet and Ryanair included. The only real difference I can tell is you have to pay for food and drink onboard. You tend to get steps rather than a jet bridge, and Ryanair has no seat pocket (can't remember if Easyjet does). Quick turnarounds can also mean minor mayhem at boarding gates, but it's never been a big problem. Honestly, they are fine

Thank you for the reply, Dying_Swan, I really appreciate it.

It is reassuring to know that you have had a positive experience (although sorry to hear about your panic attack). That is good to know that they have such good customer service, and I'm glad they helped.

Also good to know about the European airspace – I didn't know that!

Thank you so much again for taking the time to reply :-)

I'm like you in that I do fly (across country and back) 3 or 4 times a year so I wouldn't call it fear, but there is always definitely anxiety. I'll let you know about the budget airlines versus the major airlines because I'm flying back home tomorrow night on a red eye (6.5 hours) on a budget airline I've never used before. I'm thinking all safety rules have to apply to every airline and the only difference I will probably see is in the quality of the seating, entertainment, food, etc.

We can do this!
    Sue

Thanks Sue! How did it go? :-)

It was an outstanding flight - I not only will fly the "budget" airline again, but I will specifically make them my first choice in the future! The crew was wonderful, there were TV's at every seat, I swear I had more leg room, the seats seemed to recline more, the pocket/pouch in front of you for storing your items had separate compartments for water, cell phone, etc. The beverage and snack choices were as good (if not better) than the major airlines, and since it was a red-eye flight, on every seat was a sealed package containing ear plugs and a sleep mask.

Enjoy your trip!
    Sue

Hi I work for a budget airline (easyJet) let me assure you we have to follow the exact same safety standards as every other aviation company, it’s a very tightly regulated industry. Also we are under constant threat of dismissal for any sort of rudeness towards passengers. Even though quite frankly some deserve punching in the nose. The main differences you will see are all those little extras you get when you fly with a company such etihad etc is seats have less leg room and aren’t quite as wide, no little tv and no little welcome pack of earplugs/blanket etc. I promise cabin crew are lovely people and if they spot you look anxious or upset in anyway I can pretty much guarantee they will be over checking on you to see if there is anything they can do to make you feel better.

Thread Information