Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: black/very dark poo

black/very dark poo

Advice please:
    ive been having problems for the past month with tummy pain, pain around ribs/in shoulder, burping, stomach grumbling etc. It all started when I tried to stop Citalopram and had really bad side effects, I went back on it but the stomach problems continued.
    For the past 3 of 4 days I've been taking Colpermin and it really helped, I had 2 days completely pain free, then yesterday the pain started again, not as bad but it was there niggling. The Colpermin has started helping stop my diarrhoea, my poo now has hard bits in and the rest is softish. My question is, the hard bits in my poo are really hard but they're also very very dark, if not black. I'm ashamed to admit that I had a prod around this morning (because the colour freaked me out) and now I'm a bit scared. I've not changed anything in my diet, no medication has changed so I don't know why my poo has gone so dark.
    Im worried that maybe it's been black for a while but because it's been very loose I've just not noticed.

can anyone relate?

Re: black/very dark poo

I find poo comes in SUCH a variety of colours. If it doesn’t last long don’t worry about it...

I've been again since and it was brown but softer.
    if it was something awful would it be black all the time and would the whole poo be black rather than just the harder bits? This bloody anxiety is really getting me down x

I've been worrying about this too. My poo has been very very dark since my bad constipation from stress/depression/limited diet*/withholding stool began. It's lots of mixed colour poo with dark and light. It's hard to pass and I read somewhere old dry poo can be darker.

I spoke to my dad as he had a peptic ulcer that almost killed him. He said his poo was as black as midnight all the way through and it was unmistakably black....the week leading up to it.

When I look at mine in bright light it does have a brown tinge I guess.

Hi Bootles, thanks for your reply. Mine is exactly the same. I'd say one quarter black/three quarters normal brown but softer. I dont struggle to go at all but the darker bit is definitely harder, almost like lots of pebbles stuck together. I'm hoping the Colpermin is forcing everything out, older poo included!!
    Sorry to hear about your dad but thank you for sharing, it makes me worry a bit less as mine definitely isn't black all the way through. I guess it's a case of keeping an eye on things. Thanks again and hope you can stop worrying too xxx

No problem..it's reassuring we have the same thing. My darker bits hardest for sure but often have softer lighter poo near them almost sticking it together. Sometimes it looks like a choc chip cookie or a marbled brownie. I have no residue on the tissue mine r so dry.

I'm taking stool softners each day and a multivitamin but have had serious toilet phobias in the last month and have been eating less and relying on calories from shakes occasionally. My poo has changed with my feelings.

My dads ulcer was caused by over NSAID use for a painful shoulder but has gone now. He had strong antacids and hospital stay to sort out his tummy.

He said the shock of the colour was really quite startling even when he got a tissue to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootles View Post
    No problem..it's reassuring we have the same thing. My darker bits hardest for sure but often have softer lighter poo near them almost sticking it together. Sometimes it looks like a choc chip cookie or a marbled brownie. I have no residue on the tissue mine r so dry.

I'm taking stool softners each day and a multivitamin but have had serious toilet phobias in the last month and have been eating less and relying on calories from shakes occasionally. My poo has changed with my feelings.
    hi, how are you this morning?
    So as an experiment I stopped taking the Colpermin on Friday to see if it would change the poo situation once it was out of my system and it looks like it has. Been this morning and it was much softer and normal mid brown colour, no black at all. There were a few small hard bits in there but they were just a slightly darker shade so I think we're right, I think the harder the poo, the darker the poo!!!! I think you'll find as your stool softners start to work, yours will get lighter all over too.
    Hope you have a good day, take care xxxx
    p.s. I notice you have insomnia too from the time you write your posts, I read your replies in the middle of the night too !!!

I'm ok...My husband is away from midday til tomorrow so that will be hard. My insomnia is bad...I guess it links with anxiety for us.

I've been taking stool softeners for too long tbh but I do realise how much slower my bowels are and I can pin point the moment they got worse when I spiralled in July due to a real symptom.

Hope you have good day too! X

Also just realised my hubbys multivitamin tablets I've been taking have iron in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information