Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical

Unhappy Medical

I'm claiming benefits at the moment because of agoraphobia and sociophobia, and yesterday i found out i have a medical coming up soon (3rd Oct). I know it's stupid, but i'm so worried about it that i can't sleep.

I just feel sure i'm going to mess it up, or not be able to go, and i don't know how i'm going to get by financially if i fail it. I do feel i've made some progress lately, and i really want to be able to work again and have a normal life back, but i'm terrified because i know i can't do it yet. I'm on Citalopram and am seeing a CPN which is going ok, and i'm attempting to go away for a few days next week - although the closer that gets, the more convinced i become that i'm not going to be able to do that too. I try to get out as much as i can, but there are lots of days when i can't even step out the front door. I'm still useless with nearly any kind of social situation too. Unless i've had a few drinks, i even find it virtually impossible to go in the chat room on here - how ridiculous is that? I just can't think of anything to say, or worry that i'll say the wrong thing and look stupid, and even though i know it doesn't really matter, i can't seem to shake off my fears about it.

I know i'm probably making a fuss about nothing, and that other people have much worse things to worry about, so i shouldn't really complain. I don't even know what i'm looking for people to say in response to this. I'm just so sick of even the smallest thing being such an impossibly big deal to me. Sorry to have gone on.

Re: Medical

Hi
    I am in the same situation as you, i am off sick with my back and axiety etc.
    I was called for a medical and there is notning to worrry about honestly.

They just asks loads of questions but unbeknown to me they watch the way you look, act etc. just be yourself

I went more for my back only for them to be more worried about my
    "moderately severe mental health illness which affects everyday living" thats what they said.

So just be yourself and they will soon find you are telling the truth and you have nothing to hide

Good Luck
    Last edited by nanny; 21-09-07 at 10:34. Reason: Added words

Hi

I got a letter from my doctor stating that I have agoraphobia with panic attacks and that I could not attend the medical. I have now come up for a medical again and asked my doctor to resurect same letter, which he did. I have sent that in and it looks like someone will come to my house for my medical. I am also going to have a friend with me for support.

Hope this helps

Sheena

Good luck for the medical Lorelai, I too am on the sick with depression and anxiety and am dreading the day I have to go for a medical. I als get a bit anxious before I go into the chatroom but after a few minutes I am fine because I know nobody will judge you in there. Take care.

love Mags xxxx

Thank you very much Nanny, Sheena and Mags - i really appreciate you taking the time to reply

Lorelai xx

I was asked about attending a medical, just said there was no way I could do it, they never bothered me after that. Good luck flower.

Hey Lorelai.

I'd definitely talk to your GP about this, or CPN etc. They should totally understand that having agoraphobia is going to make this appointment virtually impossible for you at the moment. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, so I'm sure one day you will be fine to go through with it

Try going in the chat room sometime...everyone is really nice and nobody will think you are stupid or anything xxx

Aww thank you for your kind replies Tony and Dying Swan - i wasn't expecting any one else to respond to my post

I postponed the medical so it's a week tomorrow now. I'm going to try and go and just get the darn thing over with, i've luckily got someone to go with me so that makes it slightly more manageable (hopefully!)

Thanks again

x

hi lorelai i know how hard it is to go to any kind of appointments i had to go to my sons school tonight 4 a parents evening and i could not go, i now feel really bad cos i feel i have let him down and myself. good luck viv

lorelai,
    the fact you have someone going with you will be in your favour,they will probably ask if you needed someone to bring you along.all adds to the points!
    i have sa to but find i can work for myself with the help of meds,but know plenty of people on incapacity and its pretty standard routine and you should breeze through it. just lay it on thick even if you are having a good day,if u dont need other people to get out now n then make him think you cant leave the house alone etc etc...good luck and im sure you will be fine.

pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information