Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to get back into gym but fear heart issues

Want to get back into gym but fear heart issues

So, I used to be super fit. Could run miles and swim for hours. Due to bad life issues and such- I lost my drive to work out. Which is bad I know- But I feel like a much better place and want to get back into it.

I sometimes wake up with a race/pounding heart even when I'm not having anxiety issues. I also gets lots of chest pain (Reflux! Cut out alot of food and that's help big time! Thankfully.) See, this racing/pounding heart around sleep times has me really freaked out- even though I know it will help in the long run!

I try to remind myself that I had a ecg test, blood test, chest x-ray in very early 2018, my doctor also says my heart is fine every-time I go to see her. I was in hospital recently and they seem concerned with my heart rate and blood pressure for awhile and kept testing it before letting me go without saying much more about it.

I'm only 23, don't really have a big history of heart issues that I know about (my Mam (59) has high-blood pressure but thankfully is doing super well on meds the last few years.) I'm carrying abit more weight than I would like (I always carried some weight, even tho I could run miles without a issue or do lots of other fitness things! So physically it doesn't bother me being on the bigger side.)

I'm in a good enough place with my HA right now and I wanna get going into this before I back out and get to freaked to even move again!

Re: Want to get back into gym but fear heart issues

I am glad you are in a good place with your health anxiety now
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

@whispershadow aw thank you so much i'm really doing my best to be positive and move on x

I manged to go on a half walk/jog today! My heart-rate when mad but I manged it !

I'm struggling abit this evening tbh, my heart is pounding quite hard and I'm feeling breathless. I'm sad about this being the result and worried it will put me off again.

Hi LouiseAndy

Hope you're well.

I have the same issue to be honest...I suffer from ectopic beats and had a period where I felt so breathless and had palpitations. I also stopped working out cause I was so worried. The other day I did 30 mins on the stationary bike and I felt better for it, I would say, keep trying to do a bit. Maybe start slowly? - brisk walks or some time on a bike etc? Your heart is probably pounding hard cause your thinking about it and then you panic. I do this all the time - when I'm walking up the stairs at work or rushing to get a train, I always stress myself out cause my heart is racing - the more you think of it, the more it races!

Hope you feel better soon!

This is something you need to build up to. Don't run before you can walk.....etc.

I would suggest exposing yourself to exercise based elevated heart rates gradually. Day one, go for a brisk walk to get your heart rate up to 100-120bpm, then be aware of it coming back down again. If you feel anxious about it being that high, be aware that it's the anxiety keeping it high. Do it for 10 minutes on day one, 12 minutes on day two and after a few weeks 'maybe' considering upping the pace a bit. Same with resistance training if you do any. Don't push too hard at the start as it's very easy to drive your heart rate over 150 with heavy sets.

Instead of ignoring your heart rate when you exercise, be mindful and aware of it, and keep telling yourself that your body is doing EXACTLY what it's designed to do.

In terms of the late night palpitations, those are the ones you can choose to ignore as paying attention to them is what keeps them going a lot of the time.

@PiaR & @Ankietyjoe Thank you both so much for the replys! There's lots of good info here! I know that in the long run working out will help with my heart! It's just trying to get over that first few days. I'm going to do as ye both said, trying to start off slowly rather than going right back to what I was used to. Back when I worked out intensely- y heart would pound it never bothered me! Amazing how anxiety can change our mindsets....But I'm not willing to let it win!

I'm the same.

3 years ago I had a panic attack while out running and haven't ran since.

Been a long slog to feel okay again. Trying to expose myself very slowly.

Only wish I could turn back time to that night and force myself back out the next again day rather than let it fester.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin44 View Post
    I'm the same.

3 years ago I had a panic attack while out running and haven't ran since.

Been a long slog to feel okay again. Trying to expose myself very slowly.

Only wish I could turn back time to that night and force myself back out the next again day rather than let it fester.
    It's horrible isn't it Colin! I think it's all about taking it slowly. I hope you mange to get back into it soon and you feel great again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information