Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried I have diabetes

Worried I have diabetes

It doesn't run in my family I don't have unexplained weeight loss I don't have an increased appetite or thirst after eating I don't have an increased urge to go to the bathroom but I don't eat that well I try to avoid fatty snacks in btween meals but I still eat alot of fatty high carb meals and I'm worried that is gonna lead to diabetes any help?

Re: Worried I have diabetes

Quote Originally Posted by devo343 View Post
    any help?

It doesn't run in my family I don't have unexplained weeight loss I don't have an increased appetite or thirst after eating I don't have an increased urge to go to the bathroom...I try to avoid fatty snacks in btween meals
    Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

If you're worried about developing diabetes because you eat a lot of carby and fatty foods, then stop eating those foods.

The main thing to cut down on is carbs, fat in itself isn't an issue. You need to cut carbs down a lot, and refined carbs out completely.

Moderation in everything. You do not need to cut all carbs or even all refined carbs. Carbs are part of a healthy diet. You just need to eat a wide variety of foods and make sure when you eat something sugary fatty or refined it’s something you love. This is an old article but it’s my favorite article ever about diet
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bon...ter-s-diet/amp
    And this
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...clean.amp.html

The OP talked about eating a lot of fatty, high carb meals. These are absolutely the worst kind of foods to eat, and carbs aren't part of a healthy diet, specifically refined carbs. I also didn't say cut them all out, except refined carbs. No, you don't HAVE to, but if the OP is worried about it, there's no downside to cutting them out, they are nutritionally negative.

What you're referring to is the deeply flawed standard American diet, which has caused the greatest epidemic of health problems in human history.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    The OP talked about eating a lot of fatty, high carb meals. These are absolutely the worst kind of foods to eat, and carbs aren't part of a healthy diet, specifically refined carbs. I also didn't say cut them all out, except refined carbs. No, you don't HAVE to, but if the OP is worried about it, there's no downside to cutting them out, they are nutritionally negative.

What you're referring to is the deeply flawed standard American diet, which has caused the greatest epidemic of health problems in human history.
    You are 100 percent incorrect about what I’m referring too and did not read the articles I attached which do not advocate the diet you are describing at all. Both advocate balanced diets with occasional indulgences one is written by a food editor the other by the health editor of the New York Times. There is no need for either extreme. If you eat a balanced diet most of the time one donut will not kill you. If it is an excellent donut it will even be good for the soul. In no way did I advocate the op continue eating junk. I rather suggested a balanced diet with occasional indulgences as advocates in the articles you failed to read. And there’s a lot to be lost by making certain foods forbidden it leads to binges and unhealthy eating.

This article is about hundred but is very relevant
    https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...orbidden-food/

It's what you/they perceive to be a balanced diet that is wrong. The entire treatment system for diabetes and chronic disease is being re-written in the UK (NHS) because carbohydrates are too prevalent in the diet. Both alzheimer's and many forms of heart disease are now being recognised as insulin related conditions.

I for one won't be taking dietary advice from editors in a newspaper, especially when the articles are simply opinion.

I'm not talking about a 'diet', which implies a short term solution to a problem, I'm talking about a long term lifestyle change. A balanced diet based around the SAD (standard American diet) with occasional indulgences clearly doesn't work for the majority of people. You only have to look at the state of the population there (and here in the UK) to understand that.

Even the borough I live in there is now an established dietary regime to treat diabetes, and it has a 70% reversal rate within 6 months. It works by keeping total carb intake to less than 50g per day, or less if possible. I'll repeat that, 70% reversal within 6 months. Standard medication rates are 0% reversal, and a 100% slow decline into serious ill health.

I'm not a nut job conspiracy theorist, but if you are worried about diabetes, this is the way to go. Even if you're not, the SAD is NOT the way to go.

And I would further say the primary issue with the standard American diet is the all or nothing approach that has people binging then restricting rather then enjoying a moderate sensible balanced diet

No it's not. Bingeing and restricting doesn't work because it just doesn't work. The body rebounds because your BMR crashes when you restrict too much.

The carbohydrate issue is one of hormones, specifically insulin. This is heavily documented and recognised now, and refined carbohydrates are by far the worst offenders. If you want to read up on it, search for things like insulin resistance or even Dr Jason Fungs research and treatment of diabetes with fasting and low carb lifestyles.

I will add it's not just what we eat, but how often too. Historically we were told to eat for 12-14 hours a day, mainly based on grains. This is just not healthy, and everything in moderation does not work.

It's the 'balanced diet' bit that is the issue, because most people believe that should include bread, pasta, cake, sugar and pies. Ideally...it shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    No it's not. Bingeing and restricting doesn't work because it just doesn't work. The body rebounds because your BMR crashes when you restrict too much.

The carbohydrate issue is one of hormones, specifically insulin. This is heavily documented and recognised now, and refined carbohydrates are by far the worst offenders. If you want to read up on it, search for things like insulin resistance or even Dr Jason Fungs research and treatment of diabetes with fasting and low carb lifestyles.

I will add it's not just what we eat, but how often too. Historically we were told to eat for 12-14 hours a day, mainly based on grains. This is just not healthy, and everything in moderation does not work.

It's the 'balanced diet' bit that is the issue, because most people believe that should include bread, pasta, cake, sugar and pies. Ideally...it shouldn't.
    Please tell me where I advocated bingeing and restricting. Actually I advice the exact opposite. I recommend a healthy diet of mostly vegetables and healthy fats and the occasional treat. I personally eat very healthy during the week and indulge on weekends and I also walk a great deal and it’s kept me thinner then most. It keeps me from feeling deprived and I eat a great deal of veggies. I consider this as everything in moderation abs it’s worked. Despite your incorrect interpretation of my argument again you didn’t read the articles I am not advising a high carb diet or binging. I am advising a balanced diet of primarily vegetables and fruits some meat and dairy some healthy carbs and I’m saying that there is no reason to make any food forbidden. I’m not sure why you think I’m advising a fast food free for all By advocating a balanced diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information