Thread: Pain down there, could it be in my mind?

Pain down there, could it be in my mind?

Hello,

I do have some experience with phantom pains and symptoms due to anxiety, for example one time a few years ago I was worried about a swollen gland in my neck and developed full body aches, which I figured out after a few weeks only happened when I was thinking/worrying about them and went away completely after I’d finally reassured myself that they were in my mind. There was also a time where a smelt a bonfire from a window, thought I had something wrong with my brain, and spent months smelling smoke before being able to distract myself long enough to realise it was in my head again and haven’t smelt it since.

The thing I’m worrying about right now is that I’ve been having this tender pain feeling down there. I have had it before but it only lasts for a few hours for maybe a day each month so never paid it much notice as it went away. I had it again a few weeks ago and decided to google it. Of course, terrible idea, because all sorts of awful cancers and stuff were coming up. I told my mum in a panic and she told me that she used to get it too, and that she went to the doctors for it and was told it’s just mittelschmerz, pain during ovulation. All my symptoms sound the same as hers and all the times I’ve had it have added up with ovulation dates. But the thing is ever since googling, the pain has got worse and almost never gone away.

This was about 2 and a half weeks ago, I’m now on my period and still have the pain. The things I’m clinging on to are that it seems a bit of a coincidence that the pain has only been constant ever since I googled when every other time it would go away within a day, and that there have been a few instances where I’ve been so busy and focused on something that I hadn’t been able to think or worry about the pain, and during those instances I didn’t feel anything at all. The problem is 99% of the time I am thinking about it so I’m stuck in a cycle of worrying = pain = worrying = more pain.

My mum thinks it seems obvious that it’s in my head, but I just wanted to ask for some other opinions. Does this sound like the symptoms are probably in my head? And has anyone else had experience with anything similar, where symptoms seem to only be there when you’re worrying?

Thanks if you can help.
    Last edited by ls; 28-08-19 at 15:24. Reason: Added detail to clarify confusing sentence

Re: Pain down there, could it be in my mind?

Hi!
    I think that now you’ve put a name to it, you are noticing it more. I get ovulation pains and they can last for a few days or longer.

Last year I had a vaginal ultrasound to try and find a reason. For my irregular periods. They found a cyst on my ovary, and from that day to 2 months later when they told me it was ok , I had abdominal pains. I hadn’t had them before they told me, so I’m pretty sure it was my anxiety causing me to tense my muscles which then caused an ache. The pains went almost overnight for me once I found out I was ok.

I still get ovulation pains every month though.

Thread Information