Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So. Very. Tired.

So. Very. Tired.

Basically, I work in Further Education, and mid-August to mid-September is the busiest time of year for us. I'm in the middle of enrolments, and before long I'll be doing six or seven presentations a day to groups of new intake teenagers.

None of this is particularly easy for somebody with anxiety and depression, unfortunately, and with funds constantly being cut the college can't afford as many temps as usual. Consequently, I haven't finished work before 6pm in well over a week, bank holiday notwithstanding. Yesterday, I was working from 8.45am to 8.30pm.

It's okay, I'm coping, but I can feel myself getting more and more fragile on an hourly basis. I was supposed to be going out for drinks with the team on Friday night but I'm so drained I don't think I can handle it - I'm a morning person, so I get home and I pretty much go straight to bed and barely see my husband.

I know it's only a few more weeks, but I'm worried about making an idiot of myself or letting people down; was going to try and get away at 5pm but some people had to go across to our other campus so now it's another 6.30 finish when I had a few things I wanted to get done.

No advice required, just the sort of moral support you lovely people do so well.

Re: So. Very. Tired.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having a rough time of things blue!

You’re doing so well just getting through each day, you should be proud of what you’re achieving. You’re not letting anyone down by taking the time you need for yourself.

Positive vibes and supportive internet hugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thanks, Mouse, I really appreciate it.

Oh BI- I wish I could do something to make this better for you. It sounds like incredibly hard work, a kind which anyone would find tough to handle. And for someone with anxiety issues in the mix - it must be exhausting. Do you have an end point to look forward to? And in years gone by, have you developed any strategies which help you? I know you will get through this - but that doesn’t make the journey easier.

I just wanted to add my support too for what it's worth, BI. No job is worth jeopardising your mental health for. You may feel compelled to push yourself to the limit but you'll pay the penalty and you work very hard to keep yourself well. You need to step back if it's all too much-work will cope. Your priority is yourself xx

I lucked out tonight; at 5.45 we were told only one of us needed to stay an extra hour. I felt tremendously guilty leaving the 17-year-old apprentice to finish up, but he said he didn't mind, so I took him at his word.

...He turns 18 in a couple of weeks and he's crazy for F1. Since I couldn't face going to his party, I went online and found him a marshal's tabard from the British Grand Prix for his birth year. Such a brilliant kid.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I lucked out tonight; at 5.45 we were told only one of us needed to stay an extra hour. I felt tremendously guilty leaving the 17-year-old apprentice to finish up, but he said he didn't mind, so I took him at his word.

...He turns 18 in a couple of weeks and he's crazy for F1. Since I couldn't face going to his party, I went online and found him a marshal's tabard from the British Grand Prix for his birth year. Such a brilliant kid.
    I am SO glad you got to come home early tonight. And I agree with Pulisa- no job is worth jeopardising your mental health for. Look after yourself first. Xxx

I can relate, Blue, and I remember that reminding yourself that you are on the home stretch of this marathon is the key to getting through it, but you have to promise yourself that you will take your crash / downtime / recuperation or whatever you choose to call it as soon as you get the chance. Do nothing, sleep late, binge watch some trashy TV, or pig out on junk-food if that is your reward system because you deserve one. After a few days of recovery, then you can go back to your healthy routine and eating habits.

Hang in there - it will get better!
    Sue

I hope you’ve got something great planned for when you get some downtime?

I’ve worked in places like that before - where there is a deadline & it gets crazy busy for 8 weeks before it. It’s hard work, but you’ve got this! You know your job inside out and you are in control. Those students are lucky to have you Blue. And how kind are you to your apprentice? Lovely of you to buy him a present.

Keep on keeping on. Breathe, focus and smile.
    You got through the computer update, you’ll do even better this time x

I agree with pulisa. Keep a check on things and if it getting to much head it off.

Like Scass, I have worked in these types of environments too (I was a BA working in projects and programmes as well as proving SME support due to my background working up through the ranks) and it's the whole reason I am here on NMP now. It was the reason I ended up with anxiety and two breakdowns. I pushed it too far.

My employers were poor and it was a culture of working to meet a lot of JIT type stuff. Constant firefighting across the business. But if you have a good boss you can talk to then it can help you here because we have a tendency to put too much on getting these things done.

Since having anxiety and learning some very hard lessons about all this I've found myself telling my GF exactly the same. She works in the same environments and it never seems to change. I always say to her "do you work in the NHS where someone may die? Or the police or the military? If not, perhaps those massively must have done yesterday deadlines some stakeholder says they can't live without just aren't as important in reality". This is where your boss might be useful in being a second eye to keep you objective. And pushing back any unreasonable stakeholder requests like you had recently.

Are you sleeping ok?

I hope things calm down soon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information