Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting quetiapine

Re: Starting quetiapine

Thank you PDU. I've kept up the evening 20mg propranolol as wasn't sure, so I will keep going with it until I see a GP. I had a feeling you had to be careful reducing it. The omeprazole has been for GI pain when taking venlafaxine, which has been ok, but maybe I'll just carry on with both for the time being. Thank you so much.

Just an update. I am scared to say it for fear of jinxing it, but I think maybe the quetiapine is starting to help. I got through the agitation that seems to accompany an increase, and apart from brief moments of it, things feel calmer and I have more motivation. I'm even managing to read a book, which has been impossible for a long time. Sleep has been variable but I'm waiting for the pharmacy to get the trazodone, so hopefully that will help. Around an hour after taking quetiapine, my legs feel super heavy which is a bit odd, but a small price to pay. I'm writing this with everything crossed, but daring to feel just a little bit hopeful.

That’s great news I too have started to see some improvement, the last couple of days I’ve felt more able to rationalise my crazy thoughts and have felt more upbeat but today has been the best day so far, been getting out and doing normal things without my brain telling me I can’t cope. I’m the same, hoping I don’t jinx myself but everything is crossed

Oh that's such great news Jo. I'm so pleased to hear you're on the up too! I know it's early days but the signs are good. Long may it continue

I guess I jinxed it. Now on 400mg quetiapine and down to 75mg venlafaxine, and feeling pretty awful. Just taken lorazepam in the vague hope it might lift my mood. Still on trazodone for sleep but it doesn't help much. Apparently quetiapine can go up to 600mg but from what I've read, it should only be 300 max for depression. Heaven only knows what happens next. I think it's lowering my blood pressure too and not sure if I should be concerned.
    Last edited by Dying_Swan; 26-10-19 at 00:11.

Hi DS, wow, you got down to 75mg really quickly so no wonder you’re feeling awful! Are you coming off the ven completely or are they going to try something else to replace it?

I saw your other post regarding the CMHT and really pleased they changed their minds. I was thinking of you after my appointment and I did wonder why mental health services can be so erratic in their decisions. If you don’t mind me asking, what area are you in? I’m in Hampshire and my CMHT we’re pretty good. Now I’ve just got to wait to hear from them about seeing the new psychiatrist and MBCT sessions. The cpn I spoke to said she will try to get it sorted out asap but I won’t hold my breath, I expect it might take a while! My private psychiatrist said the CMHT will expect to take over my treatment from her which is fine with me, I don’t expect my insurance will want to pay out much longer anyway.

I really hope the ven withdrawal settles down soon, you’ve had a lot of changes to your meds over the last few weeks, I think you’re extremely brave for that . I upped my quetiapine to 75mg last night as I’ve been having a few bad days this week. Thankfully I slept well and I’m not getting the increased anxiety (yet ��)

Hi Jo. Thanks for your reply and kind words. I'm really glad you're doing ok and that you're going to get some proper support. My insurance has also stopped paying now, and I can see the logic of not having 2 psychs. I'm not sure whether I'm going to see the NHS one or not, so it's kind of left open with the private one for now. Maybe the rapid med changes have been more difficult than I'd realised. My guess is the (private) psych plans to get me off ven altogether, but I'm not sure, and don't know if it will be replaced with something else. I'm so glad you're going to have some psychological support too. I've been told I need a different type of therapy to CBT, but my goodness it's expensive! I'm planning to wait and see what the CPN says. I'll pm you where I'm at. Fingers crossed you continue to do well on 75

This quetiapine is doing strange things to my blood pressure. It seems to drop to 80-90/40-50 after taking it and I've had a couple of occasions where I can't stand up without my head spinning and ears ringing. Then it seems to go up to about 145/80 later on. I spoke with my GP about it and he's suggested I split the dose to morning and evening. Today I've taken 100mg at lunch time and will do 300 tonight, then 200mg am and 200mg pm tomorrow. I feel a bit in limbo at the moment with regards to psychiatrists, though I do trust my GP's advice. I also get a horrible sensation up my spine about an hour after taking quetiapine, like I have to move, but it's gone by morning. I'm going to switch back to mirtazapine from trazodone. Bracing myself for a sleepy day tomorrow. I'm just a little worried about the low BP as don't want to be keeling over.

A few days into splitting the dose, and yuck, this is not nice. Still having low BP, and getting some dizziness with it. Years ago I had agoraphobia due to fear of fainting, and this is not helpful. I'm also self-medicating with methylprednisolone (long story, and *not* recommended) which probably isn't helping. I'm due to see the CPN from CMHT next week,but just phoned up and there doesn't seem to be any guarantee I'll see their psychiatrist, so I asked if I should book to see the private one, but was told to see what the CPN says. I've emailed the private one to ask, as totally unsure what to do. I hate feeling like such a nuisance but just seem to keep falling through the gaps between services. Back on mirtazapine which seems to help with sleep more than trazodone for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    I'm also self-medicating with methylprednisolone (long story, and *not* recommended) which probably isn't helping.
    It often significantly lowers heart rates (Bradycardia) which might be more responsible for the dizziness when getting up quickly than the low BP.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information