Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting quetiapine

Re: Starting quetiapine

Sorry, me again. Does anyone know if it's normal to have increased agitation with quetiapine when increasing the dose? I've not had this level of climbing the walls for a couple of weeks, I guess when I last increased. 2 days now on 150mg, might up to 200mg tonight or tomorrow. Tried everything I can think of: diazepam, brisk walk, distraction, music. Psych wants me to read a book but concentration has gone out of the window. The therapist said to call Samaritans for these times, but I don't particularly want to talk about it, I just want to be anaesthetised. Is this the drug? The depression? Tried to tell a relative but she didn't understand it's not panic. It's being unable to sit still, literally tearing your hair out, and feels like you can't stand to be in your own skin. If it's the quetiapine increase I can hopefully get through it. Pulisa, does this sound like what you get? Can I ask what you find helpful? Sorry for rambling. I don't know what else to do.

Yes I am very used to living like this, DS. I suspect that you are worried about how the increase will affect you and your anxiety has ramped up as a result?

But of course I don't know about the quetiapine increase-I'm just used to tolerating and accepting agitation for what it is-an unbearable feeling of not being able to concentrate or keep still or think straight. Can you ring the MH crisis line for some advice if you can't bear it? The increase may be significant which will help you to cope with it?

Just don't google-call 111 if you can't access a MH helpline because maybe just talking to someone will help bring down the agitation a bit?

Thanks so much for replying. I think diazepam has taken the edge off, so I'm going to try to eat something and then see. If it carries on I'll call them. I haven't really been worried about the increase as I knew it was coming, though I did Google and seems it can be a side effect. Bloody hell though. What an awful feeling. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this on a regular basis. It's an intolerable feeling and I really hope it eases off for you.

Diazepam does take the edge off but I don't tend to use it now. I'm very used to feeling like this.

I hope you managed to get some sleep and that today will be a calmer and better day. It certainly gives a new meaning to "anxiety", doesn't it?!!

My goodness, doesn't it just?! It is a great help to me to know someone else understands, but I really am sorry to know you suffer with it. It is amongst the worst feelings I know. The relative I spoke to wants me to go to some mindfulness class with her, but if I'm in that state I can't imagine anything less likely I stayed at 150mg last night and did manage to sleep, so I guess I'll increase again tonight. Thanks so much for your support. I'm so grateful.

There are some areas where mindfulness just doesn't reach!! Even the psychologists admit this. A general anaesthetic would do the trick though or a powerful stun gun but not terribly practical and not available on prescription!! Glad that you feel a bit better-it is an unbearable feeling.

Thanks Pulisa. You're totally right. I've had some advice to make an "emergency box" of stuff to stimulate the senses, like a blanket, something that smells strong, tastes strong etc. Must admit I think a stun gun or a general anaesthetic would be more helpful I'm now up to 200mg quetiapine. Here we go!

Just an update. So far, not doing too badly. Agitation seems better on the whole, and I'm trying to keep myself a bit busier. I'm a bit under the weather physically which is annoying, but hopefully that'll clear up soon. Sleep isn't so good and I've had a couple of rubbish nights this week. I know quetiapine is supposed to be sedative but it totally isn't for me. Last night I felt like I needed to go running at 2am, so not ideal, but it's still early days. My GP was happy to give me some lorazepam despite the psych not being keen, though I'll keep that on standby just in case. Back to psych next week and wonder if he'll keep me at 200mg or if he'll increase.

A couple of questions for PDU or anyone who might know. I am not sleeping so well and while I know quetiapine is meant to be sedative, I'm wondering if it's possible for it to do the opposite? I'm still on mirtazapine but it's not making me sleep like it used to.

Also, I'm a bit worried about leucopenia/neutropenia. I'm not traditionally a HA sufferer, but the patient leaflet says you should seek medical advice for sore throat, fever etc, which I've had for a week, but I wasn't worried as I knew I'd caught a cold when visiting a friend. But a week on, although some symptoms are improving, I'm still feeling quite rough, low grade fevers, cough etc. I spoke to GP on the phone and will have bloods next week, but I'm not sure how much of a risk it is, or whether I'm overreacting, or whether to cancel the bloods if it improves? Thanks so much in advance.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information