Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting quetiapine

Re: Starting quetiapine

Thank you so much for that explanation. It is encouraging to hear about the noradrenaline impact. I'm going to ask about XR at my next appointment. My guess is that it's about cost. My first prescription was private and I looked up the prices before getting it - the XR was a lot more expensive. So far I'm doing ok. Euphoria still eludes me but I generally feel more stable, if a bit more anxious. Each increase has knocked me a bit, so I'm not sure what 200-300mg will be like, or how quickly it will be increased, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Thank you again. It's a huge help to be able to ask all these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    It is encouraging to hear about the noradrenaline impact.
    I does mean you're effectively now on a fairly potent SNRI. Even at 300mg venlafaxine is only a weak NRI.

My first prescription was private and I looked up the prices before getting it - the XR was a lot more expensive
    Even when factoring in only having to take one pill per day instead of 2-3?

Thanks PDU. I think I'm doing ok on it, so hopefully potent is working! From what I remember, XL was around 6 times more expensive than immediate release, but I'm back to the psych tomorrow so I will ask him.

I've just had psych review. I had to tell him about the awful meltdown a few weeks ago, but that things seem a bit better now. He said he thinks I seem calmer, which is good, although he wants me to improve a bit more yet. I told him I'm no longer getting euphoric moments which is a shame, but I think he sees that as a good sign. He wasn't keen on me having lorazepam and thinks diazepam is a better bet for me. About XR quetiapine, he said as the immediate release has been ok for me, I can stick with it, but I have to increase to 150mg tonight and up to 200 by the weekend. I'm staying on 225 ven/7.5 mirtazapine. He's going to request an update from my CBT therapist (as I said I've not been finding it helpful lately) and will ask my GP to refer me for an assessment on the NHS, I guess to see if there's any other help. I wish that had happened a couple of weeks ago really, as it feels a bit belated now. Follow up in a couple of weeks. Bracing myself for the next increases.

I never understand why dosage is increased if you feel more settled and calmer on what you are on now but there's obviously a valid reason.

You may be in for a long wait for NHS therapy but that's based on waiting times in my area (South East).

Fingers crossed for a smooth transition upwards..I'm glad things are a little better after your recent awful time.

Thanks Pulisa. I'm not holding my breath about the NHS route, but for whatever reason he seems to think it's a good idea. I think he thinks I can make some more improvement with a higher dose. That would be nice, but I'm a bit disappointed that I no longer seem to be able to feel "high" either. I guess it's a price worth paying to hopefully avoid the extreme lows and agitation, but I do miss those moments!

Can I ask what feeling "high" feels like to you? Do you feel like you haven't got a care in the world and can take on anything?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Can I ask what feeling "high" feels like to you? Do you feel like you haven't got a care in the world and can take on anything?
    Yes, pretty much. It's hard to explain but things like music sounds amazing, the louder the better. Things feel fun, almost thrilling, but there is a slightly frantic energy and impatient feeling to it as well. It doesn't last more than a few hours though, and it's gone since starting quetiapine. I was slightly concerned about hypomania but I don't think it lasts long enough. My therapist said maybe it's not euphoria, just normality, which feels like euphoria as I'm so accustomed to being down, but I'm not convinced. Do you get this too?

Yes but rarely and to me it's a break from agitation. I've never thought of it as euphoria though-just feeling a bit more "normal" and able to enjoy a bit of a positive adrenaline buzz. A bit of escapism too, I suppose. I've never thought of medicalising it. I don't see what is wrong with feeling a bit more "alive" and engaged?

I agree and was enjoying those moments when they came along, like some much needed relief. Now I'm chasing it and can't get to it. I said to the psych that I hoped next time I'd be bouncing off the walls (perhaps a poor choice of words), but he said no, let's just aim for calm. Calm is well and good but fun is important too.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information