Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Starting quetiapine

Re: Starting quetiapine

Definitely wait to see the psychiatrist before increasing, and don't increase too much if you do it without their guidance (please don't). I've also felt pretty irritable and not sure if it's depression or the meds, or both. I guess it took about 4 weeks to get down from 225 to 75mg venlafaxine. I have wondered about mood stabilisers too and you're right that it's reassuring to think there are other things that can be tried. Sometimes it just feels like nothing will work which is disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo79 View Post
    iím now thinking I should ask my psychiatrist if I can change one of my drugs to a TCA, probably the mirtazapine and keep taking the venlafaxine and quetiapine for now. Is that a do-able combination?
    Depends on the TCA as, unlike the SSRIs, they don't all do the same thing. The serotonergic biased TCAs, i.e. amitriptyline, imipramine and especially clomipramine would conflict with venlafaxine, but the noradrenergic TCAs, desipramine, nortriptyline and lofepramine could work.

Iím reluctant to change the ven as I know it can be rough to get off.
    Perhaps, but taking a med that isn't working because it could, repeat could, it is not a certainty, be difficult to discontinue is unwise, imho, especially if it prevents getting on a med that could be the answer for you. Quitting venlafaxine directly can be problematic. Switching to the long half-life fluoxetine and weaning off it is usually easier.

Thanks PDU, will definitely chat to my psychiatrist before changing anything just reassuring to hear your views.

Should have added to my previous that it might be possible to switch from venlafaxine to a new med by cross-tapering which could negate much of any withdrawal response. It depends on what it chosen and how competent and confident your psychiatrist is. Don't let him/her just pick a med out of a hat (which admittedly in many circumstances is often as good a method as any other), but have these other factors considered too.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information