Thread: Pleurisy

Pleurisy

I thought I had cracked my ribs after a bad cough and viral infection but I went to my doc a couple of days ago and he said I have torn chest muscles and pleurisy from the bug. He said my breathing sounds clear but the pain I was having sounded like pleurisy. I've been given strong antiinflammatories.

I've taken 3 so far and the pain is better but I still feel so crap. So tired no matter how much I sleep (that's if I can even get to sleep, mind you), so anxious but that's me in general and just feel so washed out.

Have any of you had pleurisy before? How long did it take for you to feel back to normal? I haven't felt right since I had that bug a month ago.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: Pleurisy

My husband's assistant had it ( she is 44 and in good health) last year and was off work for 2 weeks and only fully recovered after a few months.

She had pain for some time after the initial hit.

I had pleurisy after surgery many years ago and the pain was worse, by far, than the pain from the giant incision down my abdomen. Some of the worst pain I've had and I gave birth with no meds. I forget how long it took to be completely gone, but it did go away with absolutely no lasting effects. It sucks a lot, but you'll get through it! You most likely feel crap from the viral infection more than the pleurisy, plus being in pain, not getting great sleep because of it, and being anxious will also all wear you down.

I had it once in my late 20s after a bout of walking pneumonia. It lasted about a month and was decidedly unpleasant.

Took me about a month after I had a severe infection when I was in my early 20s.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I managed out for an hour today and for once, it wasn't too sore to walk. Just the odd twinge here and there. It's still quite sore to lay in bed tho, especially to turn around and to lie on either side sometimes. Did you guys experience this? Other than that and coughing, I rarely feel much pain from it now but still feel so drained. Probably a mixture of things causing that though.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFish View Post
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I managed out for an hour today and for once, it wasn't too sore to walk. Just the odd twinge here and there. It's still quite sore to lay in bed tho, especially to turn around and to lie on either side sometimes. Did you guys experience this? Other than that and coughing, I rarely feel much pain from it now but still feel so drained. Probably a mixture of things causing that though.
    Sleeping was the worst. I had to kind of prop myself up on a pillow to get comfortable.

Thread Information