Thread: Terrified I have Cirrhosis

Terrified I have Cirrhosis

So I've been having upper abdominal pains (both sides) over the past couple of months (mostly after eating). I saw a GP about it and it was probably a slight stomach injury after ibuprofen (I was treated for stomach ulcers last year and did not realize NSAIDs were a no-no for me after that). I took some PPIs and the issue was mostly solved but I kept getting those right side pains. I had an appointment with Gastroenterologist anyway because of my bowel issues (probably IBS), but he still had me do the standard liver enzyme tests. So I did. And most of them came out fine (ALT, AST, GGTP, ALP, Amylase)! And I even had an ultrasound done which also did not find anything. All was fine that is.... with the exception of bilirubin which was markedly elevated
    Total Bilirubin 46,06 mmol (norm up to 20,52)
    Direct Bilirubin 11,60 mmol (norm up to 5,13)
    Indirect Bilirubin 34,46 mmol (norm up to 17)

Needless to say this terrified me because well... liver issue bad. Oddly enough despite my bilirubin being clearly in the "Yellow Submarine" zone I'm not actually jaundiced.

In a state of mortal panic (dr. Google was not helpful at all) I saw a GP who said this probably Gilbert Syndrome. So I read up on that and it usually only causes a rise in the Indirect fraction which left me massively confused and still extremely worried at times. I'm soing the gastroenterologist tomorrow evening, but the closer I get to the date the more worried I become. What if it is not Gilbert? What if this is something way more serious like the beginnings of Cirrhosis or something like that :(

Re: Terrified I have Cirrhosis

Quote Originally Posted by ZanVaelius View Post
    (dr. Google was not helpful at all)

I saw a GP who said this probably Gilbert Syndrome.

What if it is not Gilbert? What if this is something way more serious like the beginnings of Cirrhosis or something like that :(
    Who is likely to have more knowledge of your individual case? Dr Google who tells you the worst things possible things as he know 'everything' OR a doctor who has years and years of real life training and experience?

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

You are definitely dying :P

I have Gilbert syndrom, meaning, I am not even looking at bilirubin levels as they are always pretty high. Total around 50 usually. You have ALT, AST, GGT normal ad you think about liver issues...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo84 View Post
    You are definitely dying :P
    That I am :P As much as everyone else is at any given moment. The Gastrologist also thinks it Gilbert. I have to retake the bilirubin within a couple of weeks and do genetic test for Gilbert. Plus, when I brought up my concerns he also added AFP to the mix just to be sure.

Cirrhosis is actually VERY difficult to get you need to be on a bottle of bourbon a day for many months to get it. The liver is a feisty organ. Not like our damn brains

Weird. I've been going through this fear recently too. Pain in the RUQ and possibly radiating to the back, although my Lfts are normal. I'm a heavy drinker however.

But yes to get cirrhosis you need to drink a bottle a day for at least 10 years (usually much longer than this)

You probably just have a touch of fatty liver going on, which is easily reversed. Keep us posted

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thread Information