Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intrusive Thoughts

Intrusive Thoughts

So I've had this one a few times before and I hate it. My partner and I were getting intimate when I thought of my Mum and my son, an image popped up of them playing. Rather than let passing through I latched on, trying to get rid. Why was I picturing this while getting intimate. It's been a few weeks now and I'm constantly trying NOT to intrusive thoughts and therefore am. It's stopping sex life too. Please help. I know it's a form of OCD but it's truly horrible.

I've resigned up for CBT. I went to my new GP and told her everything and she's referred.

Re: Intrusive Thoughts

My OCD itself has been back for a few months now, obsessively checking windows and locks and counting knives. To the point I take photos to shut myself up.

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    So I've had this one a few times before and I hate it. My partner and I were getting intimate when I thought of my Mum and my son, an image popped up of them playing. Rather than let passing through I latched on, trying to get rid. Why was I picturing this while getting intimate. It's been a few weeks now and I'm constantly trying NOT to intrusive thoughts and therefore am. It's stopping sex life too. Please help. I know it's a form of OCD but it's truly horrible.

I've resigned up for CBT. I went to my new GP and told her everything and she's referred.
    Good job setting up CBT and seeing your new GP. That's a positive step forward. The only advice I really have for combating intrusive thoughts is to practice CBT and other techniques you may have already learned. It takes a whole lot of practice and effort to move past them. You'll probably always experience them, but with effort and time, they will be less frequent and they will not last long enough to hinder your quality of life.

It's horrible having these thoughts about my mom and son. Nothing BAD. but I wondered WHY I pictured them while I was getting intimate and my anxiety latched on overthinking reasons it could've meant. My partner is p*ssed off because I've gone from one to another.

You were referred for help months ago and kept telling us it was about to happen so what happened?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    You were referred for help months ago and kept telling us it was about to happen so what happened?
    Pacifying statement to get food for the dragon. BIWISI

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

This is really one for the OCD board.

The strategies for managing the compulsions you mention are different to intrusive thoughts themselves although such strategies apply to the compulsions you may engage in due to these thoughts. Reducing those compulsions will do a lot of good in reducing the intensity of these thoughts and you will feel more in control .

But for intrusive thoughts in general try to calm how you react. They will reinforce themselves if you act with negative emotions. Try to "meh" them, reduce their importance to you and your subconscious will start to notice this and mothball them. If you give them importance by reacting with "aaaarrrggghhhh" the subconscious just sees they are important to you and reinforces their need to exist which means you get more of them.

Think this way, thoughts are just thoughts. And you think about your mum & son a lot hence they can be naturally popping into your head anyway. Don't attach meaning to it, just see it as the brain throwing stuff out there. It has no connection to your intimacy at that time and only will if you start to attach meaning to it in that way. But it feels unnatural because of the time it popped up but then during sex someone might think "need more milk" and it's no different *. Thoughts just pop in all over the place.

* although in some cases it may be a reflection on how interesting the sex is at the time

I know it's ridiculous but I've already given it thought now. Ive been reading up about them and I think it's more my OCD and Anxiety than the intrusive thoughts. Avoiding things because I worry it means 'something' . If my Mum hugs me I overanalyse, kissing my child, I over analyse. Could you PM me Terry please?

If someone called send link to online workbook for OCD/Intrusive thoughts please.

I had this when about ten years ago when chopping veg, 'what if I went crazy and hurt someone' and totally freaked out about it. Told my psychologist at the time and helped me to understand they are just thoughts that everyone has fleetingly, people without ocd just don't react or think any more of it. Just like a 'that was a weird thought'. Just try not to pay attention to it, it doesn't mean anything. There's a book called Overcoming OCD I found very helpful at the time, has loads of examples in there about intrusive thoughts similar to yours and how to move past it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information