Thread: Ride The Anxiety Wave

Exclamation Ride The Anxiety Wave

I want to share a technique I use to deal with anxiety and panic attacks. I call it riding the anxiety wave. It's something new I've been doing recently.

Imagine the situation. It's a familiar one to many here. You're doing something, or nothing at all, and out of nowhere you get a wave of anxiety. Something has thrown you off. Maybe it was the coffee. Maybe it's financial worries. It could be anything, but in that moment you're in a panic situation.

You have 2 choices. You freak out, or you continue with what it is you are doing AT THE SAME TIME as all these uncomfortable feelings are flowing through your body. So what if you're feeling a bit clammy. So what if your heart is racing. So what if you feel like I'm about to vomit.

Take a deep breath. And tell yourself "I am ok. This is just anxiety. It's happened many times before and it will pass". If you need to escape the hustle and bustle of family, work, meal or wherever you are go to the bathroom. Or your office. Or bedroom. Take some deep breaths. Slow in, slow out. This helps the body to relax even though it doesn't feel like it's doing anything at the time. It helps to regulate your breathing again, which in turn will fill the body with oxygen which will eventually make you relax.

Feel yourself calm. And tell yourself "look, it's just anxiety it's calming. This is what always happens". I'd advise not to sit around waiting for it to go away. In my experience it lasts longer. But instead try to keep on with what you're doing as to distract the mind.

Don't rush the process, just ignore it. Show no attention to these negative thoughts and your mind can not dwell or push you further into anxiety.

I firmly believe this is something that is working for me. It helps me to snap out of panic attacks much quicker.

A panic attack is like a gigantic wave and you're the surfer. You can't predict the size of the waves, but you can learn how to ride them.

You got this.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 03-09-19 at 19:52.

I'm not insane. Everybody else is.

Re: Ride The Anxiety Wave

When I took panic attacks for over 43 years I wouldn't breathe and that stopped the hyperventilating getting worse and the panic attack stopped in seconds I would take the more when I was working serving customers in a busy shop and when the panic stopped I just pretended I had to go into the back shop for something and would take a breathe to calm myself down a bit my anxiety would be bad for hours after them but I just keep working.
    Last edited by Sandra1980; 03-09-19 at 21:34.

Bingo

Wired, that's such a fantastic description of it. You don't always have the choice of when the sea's going to get choppy, but there are always choices you can make to help stop yourself going under.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Wired, that's such a fantastic description of it. You don't always have the choice of when the sea's going to get choppy, but there are always choices you can make to help stop yourself going under.
    Thank you I used this technique today as it happens and the anxiety shifted quickly.

I'm not insane. Everybody else is.

Bump, because these same techniques I shared I use today and I'm so much better.

Glad that you are improving James. This method is the only way to long lasting success imo. Slowly it retrains the brain not to be scared of the waves and eventually they just splash like a puddle. Then one day even the puddles dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Glad that you are improving James. This method is the only way to long lasting success imo. Slowly it retrains the brain not to be scared of the waves and eventually they just splash like a puddle. Then one day even the puddles dry up.
    You summed it up perfectly Darksky. As soon as I have a panic attack these days my instant thought is "Ride the wave". The deep breaths automatically start happening and within a short period the panic goes away. Sure it's uncomfortable, but I always remember this post I made. I often refer to it sometimes when I'm in an agitated state. I don't have terrible panic attacks anymore. Not unless they're induced (like I did today ha ha), and even today I rid the wave like a pro sailor.

Thread Information