Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brexit/politics anxiety

Re: Brexit/politics anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by rcs View Post
    I have been watching the current Brexit debate with deep disbelief and i watched Question Time tonight and felt very anxious and stupidly watched yesterday's parliament debate . No matter what side you are on it is definitely a trigger for my anxiety and it is making me worry about work, family ,travel and finances etc which are other triggers for me. I think it plays into my doom scenarios and that chaos is around the corner, which it isn't we have many structures in British society which will stop that ie Civil Servants mainly run he country not MPs so do Judges, police chiefs and whole tiers of local government. A lot of media and politicians are taking positions that are controversial and polarised to make a name for themselves or to sell their news . It is not war its not a disaster it s the UK leaving a trading block after a referendum. It does make me think though what species some MPs are because I cannot really equate them as similar to me and my day to day struggles.
    I took a propranolol 40mg tonight for the first time in about 3 months.
    RCS
    Sorry to hear this, RCS. I suspect you are one of many and the constant scaremongering is largely to blame. We keep being told the country is turning into something it's not and if it is how exactly did the government get it's bum spanked in court yet again? Does that happen in countries where we they really have problems?

Like you say there are a lot of people making a name for themselves out of crisis. Whether they are disaster capitalists, reporters looking to get the awards or politicians being self serving in their endless quest for power what we can say is they don't really care about us (maybe some do but the majority won't). We see lawyers making fine speeches about democracy whilst laughing all the way to the Aston Martins.

Sadly it's the larger debate about the media and the lack of quality politicians so it won't end but you can get through it with anxiety. I used to struggle with any political upheaval but I'm long through it now. If you need to avoid it to protect your health then that's fine and you can work on changing how it affects you as you work through your anxiety. Change and uncertainty are foundations of anxiety disorders so it makes sense such things can be problematic for many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by feelthelove View Post
    brexit has caused me the highest anxiety and panic , its terrible how it has affected families and division . we are all given a vote and choose what we think best and then vote, usually with a GE if the side you voted for win or lose people rant on for a few days and then life gets back to normal, with brexit it has gone on too long , both side remain or lose are in a state of frustration remainers are fearful of the country coming to a crash with shortages of food and medicines, leavers are frustrated because their vote looks like it counts for nothing because they feel they are ignored. Whichever way we voted we should all look at the way brexit has been dealt with by the mp's because no matter what they voted they are there to serve us and do the will of the people. they have caused all this stress and fear for us , it would have been done and finished by now if they'd have got on with it and we'd be a year post brexit , who knows the country might have already been prospering and everyone would be calm again , but i do believe that either way we need an end to this for everyone's sakes we cannot go on like this , there is a division and its really sad to see our nation verbally abusing each other over brexit . we need to leave now so we can all move on and get our lives back because remain or leave it has been in our faces daily for over three years, it isn't healthy for any of us .I voted to leave because i want our country to be independent and govern itself , I have remain friends and family who are now just wanting us to leave to be able to move on its getting everyone down .

I have heightened anxiety because i have been abused verbally for voting to leave by people around me , i went to counselling a few times the first time was when i my own gp counselled me and she said be honest about what is cuasing you anxiety and so i told her , she wasn't happy with me she told me i was wrong to have voted leave,and gave me a lecture about it all , i left the surgery in tears and the anxiety went down hill from there , i had another counselling session and all the guy did was talk about himself and i ended up counselling him . I actually feel i have nowhere to turn and now i know my gp knows i voted leave i have the feeling i won't get any help with illnesses from her , i haven't been back for months and i am struggling a lot , i am diabetic and my blood sugar is up and down like a yo yo ,i don't feel well at all , regardless of my vote i don't think i needed to be told off for my right to vote .

I hope i don't lose my friends on here this is my only help and that is the truth. I am from a town where we voted over seventy per cent leave .
    I don't think we will fail as a country i think we will prosper , nobody has a crystal ball so we have to wait and see, but for me i dont' want any more extensions because it is making me ill , i just think now it needs to end for us all . we all have to live together and having uncertainty and extensions makes me even worse, for me it is like i won a prize and now i can't have the prize and if we don't leave it feels like my winning ticket has gone to the losing side and that seems unfair , as a nation we need to work at this together to make the best of the result, if we don't try we won't know , if we can't get along we will never live in harmony .x Peace and love to everyone , lets be positive it is the only option if we really in our hearts want fairness x
    Sorry to hear about this FTL.

Firstly, your GP is a moron. GP's are supposed to keep their personal thoughts out of it and clearly they are not equipped to even attempt counselling as it's done like that! Doctors save the lives and treat the worst dregs of society so how can they be upset over a simple vote when they are willing to patch up some monster?

Are there other GP's at the practice you can see? If not and you have to see this person again I suggest you keep Brexit out of it and say it is the upheaval in politics to keep it bland. If they try to bring Brexit up cut them off and say having your level of anxiety about any vote isn't healthy and needs the same treatment as any other anxiety would. Treatment would not include finding what was the best way to vote as it's completely irrelevant.

I agree with you though, the EU are loving it as they have a largely united group of politicians working together. We are busy infighting. We need to pull together and MP's need to accept we are leaving rather than keep trying to stop it. It's unhealthy as you say and the longer this nonsense goes on it is only creating more division and the language is ramping up because people are unhappy.

We talk about Brexit on the politics threads but it is a civilised debate. On here we just get on and understand mental health comes first. I really don't think you should allow yourself to worry over losing people here because of a vote. If friendship can't be above this then it's not really friendship in my eyes.

feelthelove has a point though, it has gone on too long. My local paper ran a column that says either way, it's not good for business. At this point, the sooner we reach a decision, the sooner we can return to some semblance of normality! Otherwise we risk becoming an elected dictatorship!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    feelthelove has a point though, it has gone on too long. My local paper ran a column that says either way, it's not good for business. At this point, the sooner we reach a decision, the sooner we can return to some semblance of normality!
    That's very true. The pound stays low because of the lack of clarity and this effects so many areas including things like pensions. My investments have actually improved due to the referendum as my returns have noticeably gone up which I find very interesting as it's not like medium risk investments are mostly outside the UK Also consider businesses are spending many millions on projects to prepare for scenarios as they have no firm understanding of how it will go. Business will however simply pass the costs onto us.

Which is what will ultimately drag us into a deep Depression.

But we are already in this situation and have been for 3 years now. Some sectors have seen growth in that time. The point is more that it is slowing down business so they make less money than they would have. Any big event does the same like the banking crisis, wars, even change in political party. The pound tanks until uncertainty is replaced by confidence hence the PM merely reading out a speech seems it lift when in reality nothing has changed.

Can’t believe there is another delay. The news said we could be debating this for 20 years will it ever end? Country is very divided.

Yep, likely the end of the year although some EU sources have indicated they would go longer.

It was never going to happen today as it's all been too rushed and to be honest MP's should have more than a few days to go through all this and prepare questions. Lets hope next week starts to push through some of this but then MP's are the biggest ditherers in existence.

At some point it has to end. We will leave and then the rejoin groups will just start up. It will likely decline over the years though unless people are putting their lives on hold. Politics seemed to have shifted a bit into new territory with all these court cases so there will probably be a lot of talking about it for many years to come. You can guarantee parties like the Lib Dems will harp on about the pre leave days whenever there is an issue.

Once they get this stage agreed we move into the trade agreement side. That will take a few good years or more. The two transition period will keep things as they are so business can prep for the end date but it will likely be moved back anyway if they need more time as I doubt the EU will have a problem with that if it helps with stability.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Can’t believe there is another delay. The news said we could be debating this for 20 years will it ever end? Country is very divided.
    20 years? But the world is ending in 2030 according to Frank and the UN!

pulisa x

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information