Thread: Very Interesting

Very Interesting

I've been watching a really interesting medical show on Netflix with the wife called "Ask the Doctor". The 5th episode was about chronic pain. They did a test that measured the brain's response to pain via MRI. The subject, a physician himself, was set up for the test and he admitted to being quite nervous prior. They injected a muscle with saline to induce pain and measured the response from his brain. What I found interesting is that his brain, especially the emotional centers were reacting even prior to the injection.

I made the connection to anxiety sufferers in that the hyper-awareness of physical stimuli often trigger panic and intensify the pain and again, that was proven in the test. Because his anticipation about the test and the pain associated with it, his brain amplified the intensity from an emotional level. They even said it's like a catch 22 in that the anxiety amplifies the reaction and then the reaction amplifies the emotional response etc.

We see that here on the boards on a regular basis. There is a direct link on how we perceive and react to pain stimuli depending on our emotional state and the conclusion I see is that anxiety sufferers experience and react in an exaggerated manner to it. Also, as I've said many times, treating the anxiety treats the symptoms associated with it as well as the intensity of what is perceived and actually felt.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 04-09-19 at 23:55.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Very Interesting

FMP, do you watch Brain Games?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    FMP, do you watch Brain Games?
    No... worth checking out?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Yes, I love that show. It shows how the brain and human nature works.

But my favorite is the episode about the brain and belief in the paranormal. They run a social experiment where they have a fake real estate agent show couple around a beautiful home. All the couples love the home. Then the "real estate agent" says there has been a price cut on the home. When the couples ask why, the agent reveal that there was a double murder in the home. Of course, there never was a murder, but the couples freak out. One couple runs out of the home. Another one, the wife is like, "I knew it, I can sense thee things, I knew there was something evil here." Another one starts getting goosebumps and feeling nervous. It just goes to show how powerful the brain and belief are on the body. None of these people felt uncomfortable until the "agent" said something...and nothing actually happened in the home, so everything they felt was all in their heads.

Interesting stuff Fishmanpa. I can see the logic behind the thinking.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Not just pain - I'd argue that we're all hypersensitive to all kinds of stimuli.

I haven't seen this should but I should watch it. Is there an episode about a girl who is constantly throwing up, or something of that nature? She's been diagnosed but doesn't believe the diagnosis - I know people who have watched that one and they are dumbfounded that she won't believe what the doctors say and I have to explain to them that this is super common​ in HA.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Is there an episode about a girl who is constantly throwing up, or something of that nature? She's been diagnosed but doesn't believe the diagnosis - I know people who have watched that one and they are dumbfounded that she won't believe what the doctors say and I have to explain to them that this is super common​ in HA.
    That was on a series called "Diagnosis". Watched that too. On that series there's a guy who would experience Deja Vu type symptoms then pass out and his heart would actually stop for a few moments. They actually caught an episode happening on camera. Turns out it was psychosomatic and caused by extreme PTSD.

Positive thoughts

so is Brain Games available on a UK platform?

Hmm, I don't know, Mezzi. Here in the US it's on the National Geographic Channel. But I know I've found random videos of it on YouTube.

Thread Information