Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Period pains a week before period

Period pains a week before period

Hello again,

So after worrying about stomach pains and visiting my GP I have been somewhat reassured about that, but I’m now worrying about something else.

Does anyone else get period pains a week before they come on their period? I have PCOS but regular periods (as in every month, but not always on the exact date), but get period pains about a week before I come on. They last for a few days then I don’t seem to get any pains even when I’m on my period. I can’t remember when this started - I would say at least two years ago - and I hadn’t worried because I wasn’t experiencing health anxiety but now I am again I’m thinking of everything that could be wrong with me.

I’m 27, and my periods haven’t changed in heaviness for as long as I can remember. They’re quite heavy for one or two days then light for another two. I’ve also noticed clear mucus when I must be ovulating which I hadn’t noticed before.

I’m resisting googling but hoping someone can reassure me. I also have a GP appointment and I’m going to ask for a scan, I had one three years ago which was fine apart from a few cysts that showed PCOS.

Thanks!

Re: Period pains a week before period

I get the exact same. I have PCOS and I’ve had it since I was 13! Im 24 now. My cramps start maybe 5 days before and then when I get the actual period, the first day is the worst. I also get a really bad stomach upset too! It’s so horrible and I totally sympathise. I’d say don’t worry about this at all because it’s normal for me and a few other people when I’ve looked it up before xx

Thanks so much for replying! It could’ve started before two years ago but I obviously didn’t care when it did start because I was thinking rationally, now I’m worrying I’m looking for anything to worry about. Glad I’m not alone with it 😊 I don’t usually get them when my period starts, just a week or so before. No idea what it is, maybe it’s something to do with the hormonal imbalance?

I get them a week before! Never used to, it started about 2 years ago with me shortly after having a child

It's normal to get PMS symptoms a week to two weeks before your period, I don't have pcos but man two weeks before, I'll get crampy, headaches, feeling tired, bowel issues, but I am almost 47 and a lot of mine is possibly perimenopause which can happen one to ten years before menopause.

Thank for your replies, helpful to know others experience similar. Although I haven’t had a baby, and I’m 27 so hopefully the menopause is a way away (no family history of it being particularly early anyway) xx

Update:

Went to see a doctor today and she felt my stomach and said it all feels fine, and she couldn’t feel my uterus so doubts I have fibroids (no idea if this is an accurate way of testing?!). She said the period pains a week before are normal for some people and gave me painkillers.

I get pain up to 10 days before my period- it can be horrible! It's like a long process by the time my period finally done. I hope you're feeling okay after your appointment x

Thanks Louise 😊

Another update (in case anyone reads this thread and has similar):

Went to see my usual GP yesterday who also wasn’t concerned but said she would refer me for an ultrasound just to be sure. I didn’t mention I was anxious about this and haven’t mentioned anxiety to doctors in over three years so unless she looked back she wouldn’t know I ever suffered from it as I never saw her during the time my HA was at its worst. So now it’s just the 4-8 week wait!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information