Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypnotic jerks

Hypnotic jerks

Has anyone had Hypnotic jerks with mitrazapine

Re: Hypnotic jerks

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    Has anyone had Hypnotic jerks with mitrazapine
    Hypnic jerks and the related myoclonic jerk aren't listed side-effects, but they may occur with many medications, be triggered by anxiety, or simply come out of the blue. How long have you been taking mirtazapine and are you on any other medications or otc remedies?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Hypnic jerks and the related myoclonic jerk aren't listed side-effects, but they may occur with many medications, be triggered by anxiety, or simply come out of the blue. How long have you been taking mirtazapine and are you on any other medications or otc remedies?
    Yes, one issue with these meds is their ability to increase levels of anxiety and with this comes the natural additional or intensified symptoms which would be seen with any trigger. Increase the anxiety levels of someone with OCD and watch all their thoughts & behaviours become much stronger and wide ranging, reduce it and they reduce/go too.

Yes, I've been getting lots of myoclonic jerks since being on mirtazapine, although I'm on other stuff too. Not sure of the reason as like PDU said, I don't think it's in the side effects, but my doctors aren't worried about it.

Only been taking 15mg for 3 days but the hypnic jerks are increasing.
    Scared , no I need help with my depression and anxiety so will try to keep taking them.
    Do you think they may get better if I carry on with the medication. no other meds only omperazole.

Only been taking 15mg for 3 days but the hypnic jerks are increasing.
    A magnesium supplement may help. It may also ease anxiety a little too.

The twitching has stopped, but after 2 weeks I feel that I want to stop the mirtazapine, is it safe to stop , I have been taking 15mg.

The twitching has stopped, but after 2 weeks I feel that I want to stop the mirtazapine, is it safe to stop , I have been taking 15mg.
    Safe, yes, but whether you should is another matter. I urge you to discuss it with the prescribing physician before doing so as there may be answers to whatever problem/s you having with it. At the very least cut the dose to half for a few days.

I have carried on with mitrazapine 15mg and feel a bit better, but have developed what I think is exploding head syndrome.Loud noises in head when going to sleep, this can happen up to 30 times a night.My sleep is now really affected.
    I'm going to gp on Wednesday, has anyone had this. Just not getting enough sleep now which makes me even more anxious.

I've never come across anyone with 'exploding head syndrome' (EHS) before. Parasomnias such as EHS are rareish side-effects of most antidepressants that suppress REM sleep. Mirtazapine shouldn't do that, but with antidepressants just about anything and everything is possible. That said, it could just be a coincidence so have your GP consider other potential causes too. One of the traps with anxiety/depression is that everything unusual can be simply blamed on them, or the meds, instead of being properly investigated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information