Thread: Back pain

Back pain

Hi, hoping someone else has had these symptoms so I dont feel like im losing my mind 😂 Ive suffered with a mid back dull ache for the last four years which only affects me when Im laying down in bed or sitting, I also get a feeling of fullness under my right ribs at the front. When I first started having these symptoms, my health anxiety immediately took over and I diagnosed myself with pancreatic cancer thanks to my good friend Dr Google and very nearly had a nervous breakdown 😂 cue many visits to my GP who from the start said it was my anxiety, but ran blood tests and even sent me for an ultrasound thinking it may be my gallbladder, all came back fine. Four years later obviously I no longer think its cancer or anything as I would surely be dead by now even though I do still have the odd moment thinking its a slow growing tumour in my spine! (Health anxiety is a b*tch) The only way to describe it is, it feels like someone is squeezing my spine with their hand. Ive made about four visits to my GP in these years since the initial flurry of visits and always get told its my anxiety and im given back exercises to do which I never stick to as my health anxiety tells me theres no point as its got to be more serious than that. Ive now made another visit to my GP whos going to run bloods again and now seems to think it could be IBS or celiac disease and is willing to refer me to a gastro surgeon for further investigation. I just cant accept that IBS could cause pressure on my spine like this even though I do get many symptoms of IBS, so Im wondering if anyone has had anything like this. My GP has dismissed it being a herniated disc even though Ive never had a scan on it lol my apologies if this doesn’t make sense, going through insomnia bad at moment lol

Re: Back pain

It could be IBS, it could be tension, it could even be bad posture. Seems like the real problem here is the health anxiety.

Hi
    i know anxiety has lots to answer for. I ve had back pain for past 3 years to the point that in the past 6 months I could barely sleep . I managed to get a CT scan in the end which showed nothing , bit of a tear & wear that’s all.
    now all this was happening while leading up to my holidays which I knew I was getting really anxious about , as I went by myself with my 14 year old plus never been on flight for 4 hours either.
    After the CT scan I decided to join Pilates class and I think combination of that and after being back from hols the pain is so much better , I get some days when it still hurts but that’s down to stress at work I think and my anxiety. But it’s nowhere near as bad as it was before my holidays. It just shows what a bitch anxiety is and how it can manifest physically on your body.

When you start getting cancer symptoms, cancer is already advanced in most cases. Cancer symptoms get progressively worse over time, and in much shorter span of time. There is absolutely zero chance that your back pain has anything to do with cancer.

If it is not strong pain, but more of a nuisance, I wouldn't rule out anxiety. The fact that you have it for 4 years and you haven't found out the cause means probably that the pain is not that severe. With back issues I would first try with therapeutic massage, so if it is not IBS or Celiac it is probably disc issue or just anxiety.

Thread Information