Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Venlafaxine startup....praying this works

Venlafaxine startup....praying this works

Hello all,
    I started on Venlafaxine 75mg XR nearly four weeks ago and it has been a mixed old bag of feelings since then.

I straight switched from Citalopram 20mg, which just wasn't working so well any more. Have been on and off Citalopram for about ten years and I think it lost its effectiveness for me over time.

First week on the Ven, fairly uneventful, some very minor wobbles, plus a bit trippy.....patterns seem to move around a bit, not obviously but when staring at them. Also a bit tired in that first week.

Second week was increasingly more agitated and angsty. Really felt a bit bonkers. More energy though, which has persisted.

Third week was a bit calmer, agitation seemed to settle a bit.

Will be four weeks on Tuesday and this last week has been a mixture of ups and downs. Daytimes a bit gnarly and evenings seem to be calmer. Mostly increased anxiety. And a bit of an increased heartrate.

My sleep throughout has been a bit disturbed but was worse in the second week. Also, crazy dreams in the second week. Still dreaming but they seem to be less vivid, now.
    Although my mood is still not where I'd like it to be, I do feel like I have a bit more energy to get things done, I seem to be out and about a bit more.

Any words of encouragement greatly appreciated, I'm a bit scared of it not kicking in fully and I'm quite knackered by all the ups and downs. When I'm having a bad day, I keep ruminating on thoughts like 'It's not working' or 'It should be working better for me by now.'
    It does seem to be keeping me afloat, though, in the face of some bad family news over the past week, so I hope that's a good sign that it's started to work for me.

Re: Venlafaxine startup....praying this works

Stick at it, it does get better. The 75mg of venlafaxine really messed with me. I'm now on 225mg extended release. It's been a life saver for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I won't bore you with my journey with Ven but as you know it mirrors your story so far. Its something we all don't want to hear as what we are going through is horrible but it is early days so I am sure you will get close to where you want to be. The most helpful thing for me is to keep a journal and really try to write a few words every day, this gives you clear evidence of any improvements.

Thank you! Helps to know this...it really is messing with my head, but at least I'm getting my energy back. Haven't had much energy in over a year. I will keep going. How long you been taking the Ven?

Quote Originally Posted by chimpingtongb View Post
    Stick at it, it does get better. The 75mg of venlafaxine really messed with me. I'm now on 225mg extended release. It's been a life saver for me.

Thank you! Helps to know this...it really is messing with my head, but at least I'm getting my energy back. Haven't had much energy in over a year. I will keep going. How long you been taking the Ven?

Quote Originally Posted by Maca44 View Post
    I won't bore you with my journey with Ven but as you know it mirrors your story so far. Its something we all don't want to hear as what we are going through is horrible but it is early days so I am sure you will get close to where you want to be. The most helpful thing for me is to keep a journal and really try to write a few words every day, this gives you clear evidence of any improvements.
    Thanks Macca, it's good to have found this forum, the 'other one' was awful....it IS early days, keep telling myself I'm doing well. Yeah, gonna keep a journal now, that's a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Thanks Macca, it's good to have found this forum, the 'other one' was awful....it IS early days, keep telling myself I'm doing well. Yeah, gonna keep a journal now, that's a good idea!
    The other forum was mad wasn't it' no help whatsoever. I was warned that I was going to be banned unless I shut up, it was a really aggressive private message, just what you want when you feel like jumping off a cliff. Been here a long time and although its sometimes quiet I have always got alot from it.
    Last edited by Maca44; 08-09-19 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I've been on it for 9 months. It really does work. I've tried all the SSRI'S, trycyclics and tetracyclics.

It's been a miracle drug for me. Don't miss doses though as it has a very short half life and you will experience unpleasant withdrawal.

I also take amitriptyline at night and occasionally diazepam.

I’ve been taking for 2 months. I switched over from Lexapro. It works well for me and doesn’t cause weight gain which was my problem with Lexapro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chimpingtongb View Post
    I've been on it for 9 months. It really does work. I've tried all the SSRI'S, trycyclics and tetracyclics.

It's been a miracle drug for me. Don't miss doses though as it has a very short half life and you will experience unpleasant withdrawal.

I also take amitriptyline at night and occasionally diazepam.

Thank you! I've had a couple of calmer days now, it's 4 weeks in today so am hoping for more improvements now. It's a bit of a rollercoaster ride, starting up, but I do feel as if my mood is lifting a bit. I feel more hopeful for recovery. Thanks for the warning re missing doses. I do feel like I'm 'ready' for the next dose when I wake in the morning, even on the XR version.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information