Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Venlafaxine startup....praying this works

Re: Venlafaxine startup....praying this works

All sounds good Sunny, yes having a break from the internet is a good thing sometimes. Looks like things are starting to come together for you, I am so pleased for you.

Well, had a fairly good couple of weeks, distracted from thoughts etc. and then bam! Some work and family stress knocked me a bit and I had a blip. Think things are levelling out now, though.

Any stress is going to affect us perhaps more than others but the signs are good in that you got through it and are feeling better. Just remind yourself of the couple of good weeks you had.

Hi
    Just picked up this thread and was wondering if anyone out there could tell me when things might improve ?
    Started on Ven 75mg 6 weeks ago then last week doc upped it to 150mg. Over the first 6 weeks anxiety through the roof, particularly mornings. That has never really gone away and now with increased dose it's got even worse. How long should I leave it before deciding this is right for me. The side effects are pretty bad but I am hoping that they will calm down soon. Any advice out there.

Like I said in the other post, you have to give it around 12 weeks between dose changes to gauge if its working for you.

Believe me I understand your frustration I was in a real state in the beginning we just want it to stop, give it time, I didn't want to hear that either but im glad I waited, very glad.

Its horrible waiting isn't it when we feel so crap day in day out I know the feeling but it does or can come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Slats View Post
    Started on Ven 75mg 6 weeks ago then last week doc upped it to 150mg. Over the first 6 weeks anxiety through the roof, particularly mornings. That has never really gone away and now with increased dose it's got even worse.
    Antidepressants (ADs) often heightened anxiety initially because of the increased serotonin activity. The body responds to this after a while by down-regulating serotonin synthesis and expression and anxiety then usually begins to diminish, however, dose increases can and often do start that ball rolling again for a while.

How long should I leave it before deciding this is right for me. The side effects are pretty bad but I am hoping that they will calm down soon.
    ADs typically take 4-12 weeks to kick-in. They have no direct effect on anxiety, or depression in the way say aspirin has on a headache. They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly, and they take about 7 weeks to bud, grow and mature although an improvement in mood may begin earlier. For a more detailed explanations see: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act.

Talk to your GP about the anxiety and any other side-effects as there are usually ways of moderating them. White-knuckling through them can be counter-productive.

Thanks again both for your replies. Your right about feeling like crap day in day out. As I said the re-assurance from people who have been through it does help. It's so hard believing things will change when your seeing no improvement but all I can do is keep going. I will talk to my GP again.
    Thanks

How you doing Slats

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information