Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Venlafaxine startup....praying this works

Re: Venlafaxine startup....praying this works

Hi
    Im taking 150mg XL they are prolonged Release Capsules, I take one every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    XR and XL both mean extended release, don't they?
    Yes, both are slow-release formulations designed to be taken once per day. The 'XL' designation seems to be UK only, it is 'XR' everywhere else. Back in the day there were several different formulations, including 'SR' which was taken twice a day.

Even with XL/XR capsules, there is something to be said for taking half the dose morning and evening as some find the med peters out before 24 hours are up, however, doctors are reluctant to prescribe split dosing as the more often patients have to take a med the more likely they are to not take it at all. Cost is another consideration.

Thanks guys.....that puts my mind at rest. Let's hope this week goes well again, now, or at least a few good days.

I'm gonna add a positive here.....I have noticed that depression has gone. I'm still a bit exhausted every now and again, but that's from the anxiety. However, I haven't had any depressive thoughts about the meaning of life, recently. When I was really down before, it was awful, I was just feeling like everything was pointless. My life definitely has a point and a purpose, it's just that I'm not well enough at the moment to get on with everything I'd like to.

So am definitely recovering on that front, 5 weeks in. It's mainly the anxiety, I'm still procrastinating and putting things off because I'm nervous. I'm signed out of work until beginning of October. My job is teaching, and can be stressful, I don't feel I'm stable enough at the moment to go in.....however, I also wonder if it would help my recovery a bit? I don't want to get phobic about going back. Any thoughts, peeps? Have you managed to keep going to work, if you work?

I'm gonna add a positive here.....I have noticed that depression has gone. I'm still a bit exhausted every now and again, but that's from the anxiety. However, I haven't had any depressive thoughts about the meaning of life, recently. When I was really down before, it was awful, I was just feeling like everything was pointless. My life definitely has a point and a purpose, it's just that I'm not well enough at the moment to get on with everything I'd like to.

So am definitely recovering on that front, 5 weeks in. It's mainly the anxiety, I'm still procrastinating and putting things off because I'm nervous. I'm signed out of work until beginning of October. My job is teaching, and can be stressful, I don't feel I'm stable enough at the moment to go in.....however, I also wonder if it would help my recovery a bit? I don't want to get phobic about going back. Any thoughts, peeps? Have you managed to keep going to work, if you work?
    That's good to hear. My wife is a deputy head so I know how stressful it can get.

You could ask you GP for some medication anxiety. I find that work is a welcome distraction from the racing thoughts of anxiety but earlier on this year felt like getting out of bed for a shower was too much effort. Maybe use the time off constructively to prepare you for your return to work.

I personally think work is a bad idea, particularly if you have depression. It’s your body’s way of telling you have burned out and need to take the time to recover.

I’m currently out of work, my employer ended up sacking me because of my problems with anxiety and depression. I was signed off for two months at the start of this year, it was impossible to do my job as I was a receptionist and couldn’t be seen to be a crying sweaty panicky mess to members of the public on a daily basis! I went back in May but then crashed again mid-june. I’m thinking about contacting citizens advice but don’t have the strength yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo79 View Post
    I personally think work is a bad idea, particularly if you have depression. It’s your body’s way of telling you have burned out and need to take the time to recover.

I’m currently out of work, my employer ended up sacking me because of my problems with anxiety and depression. I was signed off for two months at the start of this year, it was impossible to do my job as I was a receptionist and couldn’t be seen to be a crying sweaty panicky mess to members of the public on a daily basis! I went back in May but then crashed again mid-june. I’m thinking about contacting citizens advice but don’t have the strength yet.
    God Jo, so sorry your employer wasn't more supportive. Was it a a permanent contract or temp work? Your employer has a legal responsibility, if it's permanent, to help you return to work after illness.

In the two years leading up to crashing, the following events occured; my dad had a serious accident, he's in his 80s and he fell down the stairs; I changed address 5 times (was waiting for housing association property); my sister became so incapacitated that she went into a care home; financial problems owing to job instability (working as a temp teacher.); watched my brother slowly descending into alcoholism. Went through menopause into post menopause. Added to this, am single, so am scrambling through all this alone. Oh yes, and in 2017, I had decided that would be a good time to taper off Citalopram
    I really do feel burnt out.
    So far, work have been very good about me taking time out, but I feel a bit guilty, as I'd only just secured a permanent, part time contract when I crashed.
    It's odd, I managed to keep going through all the stress of 2017/2018. I got my housing assoc place in August 2018, then my permanent contract in March 2019, and then just crashed in May/June. It's like my body and mind could just collapse after all the stress, because I had some roots at last.
    When I write it all down, it's no wonder I had a collapse. I think for me, it might be good to ease back into work gradually, with no pressure. Doing something definitely helps to distract me from my chattering mind, and gives me a bit of a focus. I'm kind of twiddling my thumbs at home at the moment.....trying to fill my days.

Definitely do a gradual return to work if you’re planning to go back. Your fit notes have the option for a phased return so you can ask your GP to tick that option. I’m sure your work will be very supportive of you starting out slowly, especially being a teaching job, government jobs are pretty good when it comes to mental health.

My company was just a small local one and I had only been there for a year. They claimed they couldn’t get by without key staff but IMO my job wasn’t rocket science and they could easily have got a temp to cover. My previous job I had been in for 15 years and they were fantastic with regards to mental health. I got made redundant from that one two months after losing my dad so I think all of that contributed to me crashing this year 😞

Sorry you lost your dad, Jo, and then to have redundancy on top of that.....that's awful. Especially as it was a good job. Life is bloody cruel at times.....do you have a partner and are they supportive? Mind you, sometimes when I get into thinking 'oh I wish I had a partner', I do remind myself that is not always a helpful thing, if they are not supportive or kind.
    Five weeks at 75mg today. Hoping I can stabilise soon.

It's odd, I managed to keep going through all the stress of 2017/2018. I got my housing assoc place in August 2018, then my permanent contract in March 2019, and then just crashed in May/June. It's like my body and mind could just collapse after all the stress, because I had some roots at last.
    Sorry to hear about the rough time you had in recent years.

Contrary to what many believe the best folk to have in emergency/stressful situations are those with anxiety disorders. We tend to perform better than most in such circumstances, perhaps, at least in part, because the past stressful events we endured taught us how to survive them in the moment. But we can pay quite a price for that stoicism once the pressure is off.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information