Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Harm

Re: Self-Harm

The best thing I can say to anyone who self harms is to get support and help. Suffering alone is the hardest thing and no-one deserves to have to live with it.

With a good support like therapy and counselling, it can be overcome and you can learn more 'healthy' ways of coping.

It is the hardest thing to admit to someone. Speaking to your doc about it and asking for some help is the best start.

Jim

I've only just come across this thread but I just wanted to say how much I agree with you Jimbo. You're living proof that there is hope for sufferers and I'm Sure you will be completely better in time.

Bluebell, please don't feel ashamed. You've nothing to be ashamed about! You're NOT any of the things you think of yourself. I'm Absolutely SURE of that! Don't let peoples opinions get you down. They're the stupid ones for being so ignorant! A person such as you Doesn't deserve to feel pain. I'm quite sure you're a Lovely person and a Good mother whatever others think of you! How do I know??? Because EVERY anxiety sufferer I've known have been kind caring people. If you need proof, look at what people are like on here.......then realise you're no different from any of them because you're here too!

Bluebell, the name you chose inspired me to write the following.

Picture a rose standing alone in a garden surrounded by weeds. The weeds provoke, intimidate and abuse the rose and the rose believes what the weeds say because the rose feels alone with no other to tell it what it really is.
    The rose begins to hate the weeds and itself believing that it is indeed pathetic, weak and ugly. It feels worthless and unloved, and so to relieve the hurt and pain, it turns on itself cutting its petals with its own thorns.
    Now picture the garden as the world, the weeds as ignorant people and the rose as someone who self harms, then maybe people will understand them and see them in a new light.

Thanks for all the positive messages guys, sorry ive only just gotten back on now.

I thought i had stopped it but im sat here with a bandage on my arm once again. Im sooo ashamed of myself. I used to be such a strong person but now i cut myself over my mum looking at me with that disgusted look in her eyes once again.

I have locked myself in my room all day to avoid this, i know she wishes i was never born....i just want to be wanted and have a mum i can talk to about anything and call my best friend.

I really hate myself, so so so so so much. Im a really worthless human.

Sorry guys I just had to vent that all.

Hello there,

I'm Sure your mother actually loves you and worries about you but just doesn't understand why you are doing this. She needs educating and once she understands, I'm sure you'll be able to talk to her. If I had a daughter I'd be concerned and want to help her.

I know it's difficult but try showing her some literature on the subject or go to the doctors with her and let the doctor explain it to her. Try not to see your mother as the "enemy" but as your mother who cares about you. She just needs to understand.

You've nothing to be ashamed about so no reason to hate yourself. We certainly don't!

i have done this since i was 13 and i didnt know if it was just me being attenion seeking i cant stop and i cant wear short tops and when im at school i have to wear my coat in lessons.its reall embrassing but now i have stopped with help off my boyfriend

rosiexxx

good luck to everyone

Hey guys,

I've had a bit of a blip myself recently due to various stresses in my life, but I'm determined to keep trying.

With parents, understanding is really the best way for them to help. My mum used to get angry with me when she found out and would make me promise never to do it again, but of course that didn't help. I printed out some stuff for her and showed her some web pages and she is much more understanding now.

It can be seen by others as a form of attention seeking and in essence it is. But it is much more complicated than that. Because we have not learnt other ways to cope with things it is our only way of dealing with difficult stuff. You can learn other ways and with support people do, and I am determined to overcome it.

Jim

I can't believe that there are people who are feeling how I feel. I suffer from panic attacks, social phobia and depression which leads to self harming. i thought that I was really odd as I'm 37 and that people in there 30's didn't self harm. Recently I've been trying EFT (emotional freedom technique). After 19 years of panic attacks I feel calmer in some ways because of it.
    My doctor asked me to take notice of things and analyse what is happening instead of just trying to ignore it and this has made other areas worse.
    I can't talk to my family and I have no friends because I can't go out and meet people. It's a very lonely existance and my self harming is really bad at the moment.

I'm going to try and tell my doctor about my self harming but I'm embarrassed to do so.

knowing other people are struggling with this makes me feels not so alone.

I too wish I could talk to my mother about it but this is not possible because I don't trust her.
    good luck to everyone and I recommend EFT. it's given me hope.

Im also finding the thought of admitting it very daunting!

Everytime i make a doctors appointment i always cancel

Im so scared.

Please try not to be embarassed or scared because it's a symptom of anxiety like everything else that needs to be treated and that's why doctors are there to cure the suffering.

I self harmed in my late thirties and even at 40 but I don't any longer because I learnt better ways to cope with the hurt and pain I was feeling. It will only go on until someone helps you.

Its not a cry for attention, it's a symptom of suffering that doctors often see so please don't feel ashamed or embarassed because just like your doctor, I would like to see you well too.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information