Thread: Toothache AFTER Filling?

Angry Toothache AFTER Filling?

Hey everyone,

So I had a cavity for a few months, quite a deep one, that I left for a while because I was too scared to go to the dentist. It caused an annoying toothache whenever food or drink came into contact with that tooth but it would come and go

Recently I plucked up the courage to go to the dentist and they said I needed a filling, so I went back a week or so later (yesterday), and had the filling which was not at all pleasant and was traumatizing to sit through because it was quite a deep one

Since the anesthetic wore off though I've still had toothache in some degree, sometimes it's REALLY bad and then sometimes it calms down- but even when I wake up it's STILL there and it's DRIVING ME INSANE. Unless it gets better within a few days I'll go to the dentist and just ask them to take it out because it's torture

I bought some clove oil stuff that helped a little but it only provides like 25 minutes of relief before wearing off and tastes awful

My main question is, will the pain subside? Obviously the filling caused some trauma to my tooth because of the drill etc and I've been told that sometimes the nerve can get scratched.. will it ever heal or get better and go away completely? If not I just want my tooth taken out

Re: Toothache AFTER Filling?

It can take a few days for the pain to settle, especially after a deep filling. You could always ring the dentist to check whether what you're feeling is what they'd expect. Hope it calms down soon

Quote Originally Posted by 23fish View Post
    It can take a few days for the pain to settle, especially after a deep filling. You could always ring the dentist to check whether what you're feeling is what they'd expect. Hope it calms down soon
    Do you think it's permanently damaged? That's what I'm scared of

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and ring tomorrow

I work at a dental office and it can be a few things. First, your bite may need to be adjusted. perhaps too much composite was placed and now your bite is off which can definitely cause a toothache. I have had that before, pain so bad after a filling I was convinced something was terribly wrong. One adjustment and it was all better. Sometimes a filling especially a deep one just needs a few days to settle down.
    You did say your tooth was previously sensitive to hot and cold which usually indicates a nerve issue meaning a root canal is needed.
    I know in our office, majority of patients presenting with sensitivity to hot and cold usually end up needing a root canal. Did your dentist rule that out?

Thread Information