Thread: How do you remain focused and unaffected by difficult situations?

How do you remain focused and unaffected by difficult situations?

How do you mentally overcome tricky situations to ensure they don't end up in depression? I'm concerned that stressful situations can easily push me over the edge into depression.

I'm currently facing some financial difficulties because I've had my money stopped due to the DWP (or Capitas) not contacting my doctor. This has thus far messed up my money for the past 6 weeks. I was hoping it would be sorted by now but it's not. Left with £1 left on the electric before it goes and we at least owe £25 before it will put us in credit and put the electric back on. I'm not due any money for at least a week unless this claim miraculously sorts itself out. I've sent the doctors note in, my doctor has contacted them, now I wait for next appointment for assessment.

This morning has just sent me down. My mom is still not speaking to me because of a depression spell I had. The one person you need in a time of a crisis and they've ran away because they can't accept I was/am mentally ill.

Day 4 of no Effexor and I can feel myself restless, angry, and agitated.

But I don't want to feel this way. I want to be able to overcome situations regardless of how hard they are. There are people in situations that are much worse than mine in the world. T hose without a roof over their head or a bed to sleep in. I thank God I have that.

Pray for me.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 12-09-19 at 08:45.

Re: How do you remain focused and unaffected by difficult situations?

Hi Wired

Yep you're in my prayers

Charlie

Thank you Charlie. That means a lot.

Thinking of you, Wired; I really hope this resolves itself for you soon.

Thank you Blue.

I was feeling quite upset earlier. I didn't look at it as a bad thing. I was happy I felt some emotion again tbh

I read this verse. Now I'm smiling. No suffering can last forever.

Looking at his disciples, he said: "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh" - Luke 6:20-21

Hey wired

I'm a Christian too by the way.

I'm not sure of the dollar to sterling rate anymore but the money you mentioned does not seem a lot. Is there any way you can borrow off someone till the situation is sorted? I guess your mom not the right person to ask.

When you got depression it really don't make any difference whether you're in a palace in a tent. What's important is support of drone close to you. Your mother's behaviour sucks a rat's ass.

If you're prone to depression, of course any adverse life situation is gonna send you down the wrong path. You need to develop self help strategies to ride it. Exercise and meditation but you no doubt knew that anyway.

I know some great Bible verses for inspiration. Isaiah 43:2 my favourite and 41:10.Psalms 61 and 121 are great to. There are a few references to anxiety but none that address themselves directly to depression. Closest is maybe the story of prophet Elijah in Kings who lies down under a broom bush to starve himself to death but is rescued by an angel of the Lord. I could do with one myself right now.

I got ticked off by another member here for talking about Bible I guess religion is a risqué subject here so send a PM if you ever want to share any verses with me.

You'll be fine dude
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    Hey wired

I'm a Christian too by the way.

I'm not sure of the dollar to sterling rate anymore but the money you mentioned does not seem a lot. Is there any way you can borrow off someone till the situation is sorted? I guess your mom not the right person to ask.

When you got depression it really don't make any difference whether you're in a palace in a tent. What's important is support of drone close to you. Your mother's behaviour sucks a rat's ass.

If you're prone to depression, of course any adverse life situation is gonna send you down the wrong path. You need to develop self help strategies to ride it. Exercise and meditation but you no doubt knew that anyway.

I know some great Bible verses for inspiration. Isaiah 43:2 my favourite and 41:10.Psalms 61 and 121 are great to. There are a few references to anxiety but none that address themselves directly to depression. Closest is maybe the story of prophet Elijah in Kings who lies down under a broom bush to starve himself to death but is rescued by an angel of the Lord. I could do with one myself right now.

I got ticked off by another member here for talking about Bible I guess religion is a risqué subject here so send a PM if you ever want to share any verses with me.

You'll be fine dude
    Charlie
    Thank you for the reply. I fell asleep again lol. What I want to avoid is ending up on the wrong path during times of perceived crisis. I seem to have averted it today somewhat and reading the Bible has helped a lot. You're right it can be tricky talking about religion, but I think it's ok here provided it's not hate, or preaching. We're both believers of the same God though, so I think all is well.

I've had a rocky road with religion and flattery denied God for 10+ years. This came after I was baptized, and after I had almost enrolled in Bible school. But, once that seed is planted there's no running away and it takes a special kind of low to accept what you know to be true. I remember my pastor telling me that at 18 when I was baptized.

My mental health has improved a lot since coming back to God and asking for help and guidance. If I feel a speck of panic, or I'm feeling low I'll say a prayer:

God, please help me overcome my anxiety and depression so that I may lead a life according to your will. Let this panic pass over me quickly. Bless me with good health and good judgement. Forgive me for my sins and the wrong I have done to others. Forgive others who have caused me harm and suffering and bless them with good health. In Jesus Christ's name, who died for my sins on the cross, amen.
    And with that I firmly trust, and know, that God will give me the strength to remove the anxiety and depression from me. It's been helping me a lot recently.

I shall give those books a read, thank you. I'll pop you a PM at some point today

In a twist of fate 2 family members gave me money. I didn't even ask them for it. Thank you for your prayers and support.

Thread Information