Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need good thoughts for my boy, please

Unhappy Need good thoughts for my boy, please

I discovered a lump on my dog's lip yesterday evening. It's pretty large and came out of nowhere really - I give him pills 2x per day (he has anxiety as well) and so feel like if it were there I would have noticed it sooner. I'm trying to tell myself it's just a cyst or maybe he bit his lip while chewing on his bone, but of course I Googled and oral cancer popped up. And the statement that because he is a black, male, Cocker Spaniel he's even more prone.

So, as I schedule a vet appointment and try to keep calm, good thoughts are appreciated!

IMG_0174.jpg
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Need good thoughts for my boy, please

Sending all my good thoughts your way; hopefully if it's sprung up that quickly it's something relatively innocent.

Yes I would say the same but the vet will give an expert opinion of course.

I do hope you get reassuring news asap, Poppy. Always horrible when our pets have "issues".

He's a wicked looking doggy! All the best. How do you know if a dog has anxiety btw?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

He's gorgeous!

Try not to get sucked into the Googling here because with pets it's often something simple like a cyst or basic infection from them chewing things and being in dirty environments with their mouths (I mean the ground, I'm not implying your place is dirty! ).

It's best to see what the vet says and as above it's come up quickly which would suggest something like a cyst is more likely.

I hope he is ok.

Thanks, all. His appointment is this afternoon. I'm hoping just a cyst, but everything seems to say to get mouth lumps checked out ASAP. So we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    He's a wicked looking doggy! All the best. How do you know if a dog has anxiety btw?
    Well, with Chisum it's pretty obvious haha. In certain situations he just panics. He's also terrified of people, strange dogs, strange smells, and a whole host of other random things. The meds help; he's just (like your username!) wired funny.

Does he struggle with the vets too? Many dogs seem to and cats seem to have a hereditary hatred of them. We've got a breed prone to eye problems in older age and now he does have lots of scar tissue in them we have to be vigilant. But it can just mean they get more benign or easily treatable conditions in those breed specific areas so it's best to try to stay open minded as it's more likely benign things happen than more serious things.

Oh yes, he's not a fan of the vet. I have an awesome vet though - my other dog and my cat both love her (they pass out lots of treats haha). Chisum's just scared, he'll hide under the chair and then he'll do the rest of the exam sitting in my lap. He's a brave little guy though.

Well, they don’t know what it is but think it’s either an infection or a tumor. They have to sedate him so they can aspirate it and see. So I have to wait until Tuesday when he goes back in.

It’s going to be a long weekend.

With it coming up so quickly an infection seems the most likely. It's an area they can easily cut, get dirt into and see some swelling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information