Thread: Something I didn't know about Effexor that's kinda important.

Something I didn't know about Effexor that's kinda important.

Don't laugh at my anxiety brain.

For a while I was taking only 1 x75mg dose of Effexor XL. I was prescribed twice a day. I've been wondering why I've felt so ill and my doctor told me why. I quit them start of this week because I wasn't happy with how they made me feel.

He said there's a reason why you're meant to take 2 per day. They are fast acting and the half life is short meaning if you miss a dose even up to a couple of hours you can experience horrible side effects. Which is what I was having with nausea, anxiety attacks etc. It's basically withdrawal. It explains why night times I was fine, but morning and afternoon would be full of anxiety and panic.

We agreed to retry and he's gave me tablets rather than capsules so that I don't choke. At least the brain zaps are gone.

I think there should be a bit more education on these meds.

I'm not insane. Everybody else is.

Re: Something I didn't know about Effexor that's kinda important.

Effexor withdrawals are absolutely brutal. I was sweating like a pig and getting brain zaps and dizziness for weeks even on a taper. They rival even Paxil as far as bad withdrawals go.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Effexor withdrawals are absolutely brutal. I was sweating like a pig and getting brain zaps and dizziness for weeks even on a taper. They rival even Paxil as far as bad withdrawals go.
    Scary stuff. Is Paxil worse? And I agree. If I missed a night time dose the following day I would be so ill with a horrid all day migraine.

Effexor XL needs to be taken as a split dose. XR can be taken in one go in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    Effexor XL needs to be taken as a split dose. XR can be taken in one go in the morning.
    Thanks Charlie I feel tonnes better now that I'm taking 2 a day. I can't believe I went through that for so long and didn't realize. I'm very irrational at times

Hang on, I thought XR and XL were the same thing?

XR and XL are the same. X

I Don’t understand why doc gave you 75mg xl x twice a day. Why not just give you 1x150mg xl a day
    ive never heard of anyone taking twice a day xl (slow release) ie. morning & night
    thats what slow release is over 24 hours

are you sure they we’re Effexor xl and not just 75mg? Or perhaps gp thought you were on normal dose and not slow release?

The doctor suggested I take x2 to take once a day. But, I split them to twice a day. At first nobody told me what to do with them so I took one in the morning and one at night. And that worked fine for me. I tried to take them once per day and I had horrible side effects. By night time I had pounding headaches etc. I just stick to taking them twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by clio51 View Post
    ive never heard of anyone taking twice a day xl (slow release) ie. morning & night
    thats what slow release is over 24 hours
    Slow/extended release meds don't always last 24 hours for some. It comes down to how fast the med is released and how quickly they metabolise it. Many would also do better with spit dosing the shorter half-life immediate-release ADs such as fluvoxamine, sertraline, the MAOIs and most TCAs. I split the dose of my TCA (dosulepin) 3 ways and do much better than when taking it once daily. Most doctors are reluctant to prescribe split dosing because the more often people need to take a med per day the more likely they are to stop taking it.

The opinions expressed above are based on my observations and, where applicable, interpretation of cited data and are general in nature. Consult your physician before acting on anything stated.

Thread Information