Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing weight

Re: Losing weight

That was really interesting Ankiety Joe, and explains why I carried on losing when not strictly dieting.

Brilliant thank you for explaining that. I
    Knew that being overweight would stop by body using the insulin I’m producing properly, which it’s now doing with my HbA1c going down to 38 from 56 in 3 months but I was unsure about the weight gain/ loss in which case the harder I push the easier and faster this next stone will go

The simplest way of looking at it is insulin exposure. Insulin is a fat storage hormone, and instructs your body to store energy. Carbohydrates trigger insulin the most, fats trigger insulin the least. There is of course a balance between food type and calories, in that calories are still relevant, but some calories are just more relevant than others. Because it's also about exposure, when you eat is also important. If you graze on snacks all day, you're triggering insulin all day. If you eat all of your calories between (for example) 1pm and 7pm, that means 18 hours a day your body has to look elsewhere for fuel. This is called intermittent fasting, and is allegedly a very healthy way to eat. I do this most days and rarely feel hungry at all until lunchtime, and I'll often go 20 hours between meals. Some days it'll only be 12 hours though. The point here being that you're exposing your system to less insulin.

I also find I'm a LOT less hungry when I eat less carbs. If I have a sandwich for lunch and pizza for dinner.....I'm still shoving food in my face at 11pm and can't stop doing it.
    Last edited by ankietyjoe; 15-09-19 at 14:32.

It could easily be the walking. People dismiss walking but it is extremely effective exercise and is you where in active before even more so. I increased my walking from 10000 steps or 5 miles a day 5 days a week to 20000 plus steps or 11 or 12 miles a day and lost between 5 and 10 lbs without changing my diet at all, I often treat myself to a small scoop of ice cream from a fancy shop on my walks, even though I was never overweight or inactive I still lost. I imagine if you are overweight and where inactive the effect will be more dramatic. It sounds like you are doing well. You are making life style changes which is good you actually should not diet as diets don’t work, especially very restrictive ones they just set people up for a binge. And keep up the walking I’m a zealot for it I am convinced walking a great deal is the best thing s person can do.

When I was first diagnosed I pushed myself to 20,000 steps a day and cut right down on food. Now I’m making sure I do 10,000 as my legs were getting really sore. I never thought I’d lose 3 Stone in 31/2 months. I’ve got one more to go and my nurse is happy with that as it will be a quarter of my body weight gone then I can lose another 1 or so over time. I’m on my feet from 6am until 7pm 5 days a week with my job luckily

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information