Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Breast dimple and no referral

Re: Am I doing breast exam wrong? Dimple in fold

Thanks Lady! Don’t you sometimes just wish that information about breast changes and “what presents as sinister” was more readily available! I’m in my 30s, have had pregnancies and yo-yo-ing weight, so my boobs have changed a lot! And all we hear is to get all changes checked out! That really isn’t good for anxiety!
    My dent (or flattening as my gp called it) wraps around the contour of my boob. It’s only visible when I lift my arm or bend forward, but I can stretch it out with my fingers, and it disappears when I lie down.
    I cannot see myself being able to move forward with this one! (Generally I freak out over something for a few days, then get some sanity, rationalise it, then still remain slightly anxious but decide to keep an eye on it) But I’ve been in constant panic for a week with this one, and I am not getting a referal to get it scanned, so I don’t know how to get closure. I’m scared that this is sending me back to a very dark place!

My dent (or flattening as my gp called it) wraps around the contour of my boob. It’s only visible when I lift my arm or bend forward,
    Age, changing weight, stretched and old ligaments, less dense tissue, less elastic skin, general 'wear and tear'; this sounds like nothing more than that.
    Last edited by Carys; 10-08-19 at 15:45.

Thanks Carys. Getting old sucks! 😂

Give it time it will pass Hun, it has to.

Breast dimple and no referral

I noticed a shallow but large (2inches by 1 inch) triangular breast dimple on my “underboob” about 6 weeks ago. I need to hold a mirror below my breast to see it, and I have to lift my arm. It’s also only visible in certain lighting. This makes showing it to a GP hard, so I took some photos, panicked and ran to my GP (after a long wait for an appointment)
    Anyway, she dismissed it due to the fact she couldn’t feel a lump behind it, and it disappears when I lie down.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m still worried, so I went to see another GP for a second opinion. This one admitted that she couldn’t see it, (though she only examined me sitting up and didn’t really look underneath my breast-but she looked at my photos)
    She also dismissed it as she couldn’t feel any lumps.

Thing is, on breast cancer forums, many people have had breast dimples without lumps, and it seems to still be something that should be scanned as sometimes the lump can be too deep to feel.

I went to the breast clinic in June for Mondors Syndrome and a swollen lymph node. They scanned my boob, but not all of it...just the area where the problems were.
    My GP keeps saying she is sure they would have scanned the whole breast....which I think is another reason they won’t refer me back. But I’m sure they only scanned a small area.

I don’t know what to do. I suppose I have to just watch this dimple for changes, but the uncertainty is killing me!

Has anyone else had to deal with a breast dimple that hasn’t been scanned/MRI/mammogram?
    Last edited by Limeslime; 18-09-19 at 18:34.

Re: Breast dimple and no referral

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    I noticed a shallow but large (2inches by 1 inch) triangular breast dimple on my “underboob” about 6 weeks ago. I need to hold a mirror below my breast to see it, and I have to lift my arm. It’s also only visible in certain lighting. This makes showing it to a GP hard, so I took some photos, panicked and ran to my GP (after a long wait for an appointment)
    Anyway, she dismissed it due to the fact she couldn’t feel a lump behind it, and it disappears when I lie down.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m still worried, so I went to see another GP for a second opinion. This one admitted that she couldn’t see it, (though she only examined me sitting up and didn’t really look underneath my breast-but she looked at my photos)
    She also dismissed it as she couldn’t feel any lumps.

Thing is, on breast cancer forums, many people have had breast dimples without lumps, and it seems to still be something that should be scanned as sometimes the lump can be too deep to feel.

I went to the breast clinic in June for Mondors Syndrome and a swollen lymph node. They scanned my boob, but not all of it...just the area where the problems were.
    My GP keeps saying she is sure they would have scanned the whole breast....which I think is another reason they won’t refer me back. But I’m sure they only scanned a small area.

I don’t know what to do. I suppose I have to just watch this dimple for changes, but the uncertainty is killing me!

Has anyone else had to deal with a breast dimple that hasn’t been scanned/MRI/mammogram?
    i could be wrong but I think they only scan breast dimples that are there constantly. If it’s flattening out I don’t think it’s anythjng to worry about. You’ve had kids so your boobs will probably have loose skin and stretch marks. I’ve noticed so many things with my boobs since I’ve enetered my thirties. I keep panicking I have a slight dent by my nipple but the gp thoroughly checked my breasts and looked at them closely.

Also my gp examined my breast last week sat up with out my arms behind my neck. I thought he hadn’t done it right (he used both hands in a swirling motion) but my counsellor recently got refered to the hospital for breast pain and said the consultant checked her breasts exactly as my gp did. I think they are pretty good at knowing lumps or skin changes.

They also may have only scanned the part of the breast with Mondors in it. It’s a benign condition and they do these scans day in day out. I’d imagine if there was a tumour it would of been close to sight that mondors was present but I don’t think it’s connected with breast cancer? I could be wrong.

You are so similar to me in that your health anxiety is focused on your breasts. We notice every mark, bit of pain and lumpy tissue etc.

Im going in next week for a scan due to breast pain and I’m bricking it! Again I noticed this pain from all the poking and prodding x

Thank you for replying Unicorn! Your advice is so reassuring! I didn’t know that dimples are only scanned if they are present in all positions! Mine can be stretched out with my finger, and disappears when I lie down, so I guess that’s something?
    It just looks so dramatic, it’s hard to believe my GP doesn’t think it needs scanned! I feel like they’re so hung up on the fact that I was at the breast clinic in June, that they aren’t taking this seriously...even though it’s a new symptom!
    I hope all goes ok at your clinic appointment...I’m sure it will! I’m really surprised they referred you for pain without a lump! I didn’t think that was on their referal criteria!

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    Thank you for replying Unicorn! Your advice is so reassuring! I didn’t know that dimples are only scanned if they are present in all positions! Mine can be stretched out with my finger, and disappears when I lie down, so I guess that’s something?
    It just looks so dramatic, it’s hard to believe my GP doesn’t think it needs scanned! I feel like they’re so hung up on the fact that I was at the breast clinic in June, that they aren’t taking this seriously...even though it’s a new symptom!
    I hope all goes ok at your clinic appointment...I’m sure it will! I’m really surprised they referred you for pain without a lump! I didn’t think that was on their referal criteria!
    please don’t quote me on the not scanning thing. I could be wrong. Others who have experienced it on the forum will have better knowledge than me. When was the last time you had a full ultrasound on both breasts?

I had a bit of a breakdown at my appointment which I think shocked my gp. He thinks I have costochondritis which is inflammation of the breast bone and connecting ribs. I think he feels it’s connected to that but I’m not so sure as pain is further down. It wasn’t a two week wait referral he offered. It was an 6-8 week referral so non urgent. I have private health insurance so going private next week. Still had to wait two weeks privately which I was surprised about

X
    Last edited by Unicorn1985; 19-09-19 at 17:34.

I’ve never had a full ultrasound on both breasts. I’ve only been to the breast clinic once, which was in June. They only scanned the left boob...which is the same boob I’m having issues with now. But I cannot remember if they scanned the area where the dimple is. They deffo scanned “near” to it though.
    I had chostochondritis about 7 years ago. Mine was diagnosed based on symptoms, an ECG and a chest X-ray. My GP said it is common in big chested girls. I had what they discribed as “air hunger” and chest pain. I was given high dose ibuprofen for a month, and I’ve never had any problems since.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information