Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia

Insomnia

I’m no stranger to anxiety, but insomnia is new to me!

Over the the last few weeks I have had days where I have struggled to get to sleep or have woke up and have not been able to get back to sleep. Over the last three days I’ve got about 4 hours each night and last night no sleep at all, despite taking sleeping tablets. I have a lot of stress at work and home and today I had to come home sick as I felt so horrible and exhausted and dazed (I realise anxiety and depression have got out of control again). Now it’s 7pm and I’m terrified I won’t sleep again tonight. How do people cope? For the record, I used to sleep like a log no matter what was going in in my life but I’m so full of panic I can’t cope.

Re: Insomnia

I have periods of insomnia. They drive me mad because I usually sleep well. I find the worst thing I can do is start to stress about it. If I can still function then I try to say to myself...well I'm knackered but I can still do what I have to do, so I'll just keep on until my sleep comes back. And guess what...it eventually does. At first, I will sleep an hour more, then two and over a period of days I get back to normal.

You won't have nights on end of no sleep, the body can't sustain that. Four hours is not enough but you can function on it. I know because that's the most I get when I have it. The main thing is not to get worked up over it, it's very hard I know. But by doing so you are making bedtime the enemy and that won't help.

i think Claire Weekes said something like....sleep has been coming to mankind for tens of thousands of years. You do not have the power to override that. Something like that anyway but the message is clear.

Ghost…Spillways

Thanks. This is the issue. The longer I struggle to get to sleep the more I whip myself into a panic and then I can’t sleep at all. I’m just not used to insomnia. I’ve had severe bouts of depression and anxiety for years but for some reason my sleep was never affected. I had depression at the start of the year due to a long term health condition and that was the first time I’ve experienced insomnia. To be fair the health condition contributed somewhat to the insomnia and it cleared up when the health condition did. This time I’ve had a gradual creep of insomnia along with stress over a period of a month or so. It started with waking early most mornings and the odd night of no sleep, but I didn’t panic as it always seemed to right itself the next evening. Over the last week I’ve had considerable stress and I’ve struggled to get to sleep every night, even when I’ve had little to no sleep previously. It’s tipped me over the edge!

Hey Knickersinatwist, how are you? I can relate to exactly what you are saying. I haven’t been able to sleep for a few days either. It’s just actual torture at night and during the day you feel rubbish.

I hope you are doing better now x

I struggle most if not every night. It's a battle when it becomes days on end without sleep the GP will sometimes help.

The body will always reclaim sleep, be it a nap during the day or whatever. I've always been a light sleeper so slight noise I'm up. My partner he can go out like a light any time and any place, very frustrating. Hope you get some rest.

Hey all, I’ve been signed off work with stress, although that in itself is causing me stress as my card was already marked for having so many absences due to the previous health conditions!

I went to the GP, she gave me mirtazapine for depression and because of its sedative properties to help me sleep. I haven’t started it yet (bit scared to because of side effects - been down that road with other ADs!) Last few nights I’ve actually slept better as I’m away from work, but I can still tell that I’m anxious all the time. Building up to starting the pills tonight.

Hey Knickers in a twist, how are you doing? X

Please let us know how the mirtazapine is working out. I've used it and it worked well in the beginning but then stopped working after a while. I wouldn't be too afraid of it really.

Good luck form a fellow insomniac.

Yes tried an anti histamine - and it really helped.

I am going through this now, have been for a year, mine is due to starting to go through the change,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information