Thread: Neck Lump

Neck Lump

Hi!

I’m new here but I have been suffering from HA ever since my son was born eighteen months ago. The anxiety is always directed at health but it can be me or him. These last few weeks have been particularly stressful as he needed to have heart surgery. I don’t know if that’s why I have had this surge in anxiety.

At the moment my main worry is a lump I have in my neck. I have read a lot of other posts about enlarged lymph nodes so I know it’s a common thing. I am looking for logical reasons why the lump in my neck is not cancer (secondary or lymphoma) and just reassurance really.

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow about something separate and I am aiming to mention the lump, but I have chickened out before so maybe not.

The lump is halfway down the side of my neck, it is deep, small (I reckon half a centimetre in length, but it’s hard to tell with just my fingers), it moves when you push it like it’s on a string, oval, it’s soft-ish but I’ll admit I don’t fully understand what people mean when they say a soft lump, and I am about 80% sure it’s shrunk since I first found it although some days I think I’m kidding myself. The lump doesn’t hurt but I did discover it when I had quite a bad sore throat and now I have an ear infection. I have had the lump (to my knowledge) for about three weeks. Lately I’ve been finding it harder to find the lump but eventually I get to it. Every time.

I wondered if a palpable lymph node was just a thing some people had. The information online is a little vague, some saying that nodes should never be felt and others saying don’t worry about nodes less than a centimetre, or that some slim people can feel some lymph nodes.

I have a pain in my left upper abdomen that I convinced myself meant I had an enlarged spleen. I suppose that could be right but I am probably just adding things together and getting the answer I’m looking for. But I think the pain moves around and it’s just that I latch onto it when it’s near my spleen.

No night sweats. No itching. No weight loss.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am pretty worried about it and have lost quite a lot of sleep. I have a doctor friend who I have been pestering and I think she is probably sick of me. I want to not worry and just enjoy my son and my life but I am finding it hard to keep going and to not think the worst.

Thanks for any feedback,
    G

Re: Neck Lump

I'm a head and neck cancer survivor. What you describe is not concerning in the least. How's your son doing?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information