Thread: Antibiotics possible reaction??

Antibiotics possible reaction??

Hey guys,
    I am 23 years old and I do suffer from health anxiety. I recently developed a lump under my ear. I went to my GP who said its most likely a lymph node and gave me the antibiotic doxycycline to take for five days. I’m on fifth day today and I noticed the lump has reduced a bit but I have got a horrible sore throat which I didn’t have before. I was googling and saw that with this antibiotic doxycycline there is number of side effects one is a rare skin reaction which may start with a sore throat. I’m freaking out. I will go to my GP tom morning. I was looking for some reassurance and I just wanted to ask if anybody has taken antibiotics and developed another infection while on it or had a similar experience or symptoms ? Sorry if I sound crazy. I was doing much better with my health anxiety lately but this all has sent me down a spiral again.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Kay24; 20-09-19 at 17:00.

Re: Antibiotics possible reaction??

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kay24 View Post
    I just wanted to ask if anybody has taken antibiotics and developed another infection while on it or had a similar experience or symptoms
    The skin rash probably isn't due to an infection, but a mild allergy reaction which should begin to clear now that you've taken the last dose. Cough is a fairly common side-effect.

I was googling
    If you have health anxiety checking side-effects is a sure way of developing many of them. An anxious brain is quite capable of producing the whole catastrophe of our worst nightmares in wide screen Technicolor with full Dolby surround sound.

Side-effects lists need to be taken with some scepticism as they report everything reported during the drug trials process irrespective of whether they are plausible. For example, among the listed doxycycline side-effects are the common cold and influenza. Unless there is something very wrong about our understanding of these diseases this is impossible.

Thank you so much for your response. It ended up being nothing and was just because of the infection. The health anxiety just made me think the worst thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay24 View Post
    The health anxiety just made me think the worst thoughts!
    You're not alone, Kay. The irony is that those with health anxiety often live longer, healthy lives. But, sadly, tend not to enjoy that extra time as much as they could.

Thread Information