Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabies in public place?

Rabies in public place?

:/ I find myself again worrying about the dreaded rabies, my husband and I are on vacation in Santa Barbara- our first night here we went out to dinner- to a very crowded, loud,indoor/outdoor , mexican sports bar- the hostess sat us in this really crammed section ( lots of tables And couches) and I sat on a puffy couch/ bench made out of like... elastic rope with cushions.... I couldn’t see anything underneath the cushions and cause it was so dark and tight... I kept thinking to myself...what if a crazy bat is hanging off the botttom of this chair??

Anyway... I got home and noticed scratch marks all over one of my legs... and 2 small dots at the end of one that look like a bite... I inspected my shoes and noticed that the zipper enclosure on the back was all bent out like a needle and sticking straight out.... when I “recreated Sitting with my ankles crossed, it hit in the exact place and would make a long mark...and created a similar Mark with a little pressure, and I most certainly felt it...

The thing is I was already nervous about any itch or minimal movement that night since I was sitting under a dark/crammed table -that I was sure I would have felt my shoe doing it ( I had marks in 3
    Separate places)- these marks weren’t there before dinner- I know cause I would have seen them as I changed into shorts...how could I have missed it?

The whole next day they were itching and tingling ( I’m sure you know-classic symptom of rabies)...

Do you think a bat could have been under there and got me without me
    Knowing? I know it sounds crazy... but you know how “our type” can think... I guess a rapid bat was found at their zoo just a few months prior :/

Thanks again so much!

Re: Rabies in public place?

You have a reason for this, and a bat isn't it.

Take a breath and use your logic.

Uh I’m trying-just seeing those two marks and knowing they had a rapid bat a few months ago keeps circling around in my head

You cannot miss a bat biting you - it never happened to you and you need to address this irrational fear

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingincolor1390 View Post
    I guess a rapid bat was found at their zoo just a few months prior :/

Thanks again so much!
    So you are guessing and have no proof of a rabid bat not a rapid bat

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Wow okay sorry for the spelling error... you don’t need to try to make me feel any more stupid or anything... people come to this website wanting support and help- I get that it might seem lame to you... but we are all here with hangups.... just like some people worrying about als- when let’s be realistic...as to the likelihood of that disease as well. I’m sure you have some sort of “irrational fear” you’re dealing with....you’re part of this website to help right..? I’m not trying to be rude or challenge you... I’m just saying... most people in the world don’t get it- a lot of us come here to be open about issues and not be judged, I understand your coming from seeing a lot of stories... and just want to tell people they arnt seeing clearly, which we arnt — i guess I’m just asking for a little compassion in the mental struggle...
    Last edited by golddustgirl1000; 22-09-19 at 04:47.

Aside from the occasional brain eating amoeba and some other minor niggles, rabies is your fear du jour. Your very first post was about a ninja bat over a year and a half ago. In that time, what have you done to help you rationalize some of these fantastical fears? There has to come a time when you write out a post, read it for yourself and say... nahhhh.... I know this is nonsense and forego posting it. I mean really, what do you expect? Do you really need strangers on a forum to tell you that?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Not trying to be cruel here, but seeking reassurance isn't healthy behaviour. If you're behaving in a ridiculous way, then a reminder is sometimes helpful - I know it is for me when I can't logic things out for myself.

The statistics on getting bitten by a rabid bat in Santa Barbara are zilch.
    If you were on holiday in Asia or Africa you may have concern,but chances are unlikely
    I do hope you are enjoying your holiday.

Yes I know... but I mean twice this week they have found two rapid bats in commercial areas in Orange County California... which is where I lived- super populated... so clearly it’s not that far fetched

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information