Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabies in public place?

Re: Rabies in public place?

Dreaming, I say this gently, but what do you want? Do you want these people to say, “Yes, your fear of rabies is completely rational. Run to the ER for shots”? Or do you want them to tell you that there’s no way in hell you have rabies?

Neither will make you feel better.

If you got the shots, it’d be a new illness in a few months. The second route may assure you for awhile, but it will wear off when you go out to another dark location. Unfortunately, this is how HA OCD works.

I live in the same county as you. You’re not gonna get bitten by a bat. The only way to start solving this problem is to start working on your HA.

I really am trying to work on not worrying about this- but it’s hard. I stopped worrying about this particular incident... but then I’m out and about and I hear on the radio a 5th rabid bat has been identified in our county a few days ago - this time- the next city 2 miles over- I live on the ocean- you wouldn’t think we would have that now would you....... I know to the average person it means nothing....but for someone like me who worries it just brings back fear of my original post..

It doesn’t help that my anxiety manifested physically- I’m actually not afraid to go out- and many times will walk into risks head on... but when my mind goes nuts like it has- I begin to exhibit “symptoms” fatigue- chill-muscle weakness.... how do I not let these symptoms fuel my thoughts?

I’m working on therapy and cbt.. but I can’t help but sometimes think about it... any tips for
    How not to stumble back into the slippery slope?

Try writing them down on a piece of paper. Many times it helps to see how irrational they are. Writing also helps slow down the negative spiral.

Distract yourself. Go for a walk or workout.

Get in touch with your body. Yoga or mindfulness or meditation is great for this.

Many of us, like myself, find that we cannot work our therapy without the aid of medication slowing down our brains first. Maybe you should have this conversation with your doc.

I do work out a lot, work a lot, do a lot of yoga and eat incredibly healthy.... I just have an extremely vivid/ creative imagination ( I’m a photographer and designer) I can’t help it.... my biggest strength is my greatest weakness.

One of my problems is I do actually have a chronic condition that causes a lot of panic when it flares (costochondritis) it’s an inflammation of the cartilidge in my rib cage- I will have flares and episodes that mimic a heart attack...I went through 20 drs/ multiple attacks to figure out this issue- horse fall at 16-
    I know too much. That situation a few years ago led to adrenal fatigue, and a weight gain of 40 lbs, a lot of the times it triggers anxiety- how could it not- wake up at 3 am with your heart rate at 180 and a crushing feeling ... try telling yourself not to panic. I’m incredibly in touch with my body because of this.... to my dismay,

I don’t believe in medication for myself because I do not have a chemical inbalance... I do think it’s good for some people- but for myself I look at this as a “struggle”. I’m a Christian and know that this is a spiritual thing for me... I have faith, but I’m human- I’m explaining this so that others here who might be the same will know they are not alone.... I’m a human on a journey trying I figure out how to calm the mind...

Thank you for your tips... I think the writing down thing is a good thing, lucky for me my husband is logical- and I’m very open with all my friends- they all know my irrational thoughts and slap me around ( metaphor of course) when I go to them... they also are the ones who come to me when they have a physical problem.... the ridiculous thing... I always have super Positive thoughts and high hopes for them- telling them it’s probably nothing serious ...now why can’t I do that for myself?

Quote Originally Posted by golddustgirl1000 View Post
    I’m working on therapy and cbt.. but I can’t help but sometimes think about it... any tips for
    How not to stumble back into the slippery slope?
    Why do you fight it? Just stumble back. Accept that there is a very remote (but real) possibility that it could have been a rabid bat. And in that case you may get rabies and die. We all will die one day, if it's your turn then it's your turn. You have done all you could, sometimes there is just so much a human can do.

Sounds scary, eh? I know it is. But that's what helped me to snap out of the rabies obsession. When I made peace with this thought somehow the fear has lost its grip over me. And I got better (at least as far as rabies goes).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information