Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be worried about getting a serious infection?

Should I be worried about getting a serious infection?

I noticed three days ago that I had a brown crust inside of my belly button and that there was a foul odor coming from it. I figured that this was due to a sweat buildup and made sure I cleaned my belly button thoroughly in the shower, and the problem seemed to be resolved. I exercise a lot and think that there might be a bacterial/fungal infection inside of my belly button that originated from the sweat, since I didn't have any cuts or scrapes in the area. The day after, however, the inside of my belly button looked red and irritated and seemed to be oozing. It almost looked like there was a red ring inside. I read that fungal infections in belly buttons happen, so I got some anti-fungal cream. This seems to be working somewhat, but I don't think the issue has gone away completely. I was thinking about going to an urgent care clinic, since my doctor isn't available on the clinic, but would prefer to see my regular doctor on Monday. Would that be too long to wait?

Re: Should I be worried about getting a serious infection?

Beq45

It happens to me frequently for the same reasons. The belly button is very sensitive and will turn red at the smallest irritation. My rule of thumb is if it doesn't clear up in two weeks and/or it begins creating other symptoms, then I make an appointment with the doctor. You are probably safe to follow the same rule in this situation.

Best Wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    Beq45

It happens to me frequently for the same reasons. The belly button is very sensitive and will turn red at the smallest irritation. My rule of thumb is if it doesn't clear up in two weeks and/or it begins creating other symptoms, then I make an appointment with the doctor. You are probably safe to follow the same rule in this situation.

Best Wishes.
    I've been trying to keep it clean with soap and water and dry it out thoroughly after showering. Besides doing that, what else works for you?

I was thinking about going to an urgent care clinic
    Really, why would you even consider it for this minor (probably nothing at all) issue? Even if there was some sort of fungal skin thing going in in that very localised area, then it most certainly doesn't come under the 'emergency' umbrella. Even if there is some minor skin infection......ditto. Suggestion - Wipe it out with a cotton bud and antiseptic twice a day and see how you get on. I'd certainly not even be going to my GP until I'd tried a few things first.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Really, why would you even consider it for this minor (probably nothing at all) issue? Even if there was some sort of fungal skin thing going in in that very localised area, then it most certainly doesn't come under the 'emergency' umbrella. Even if there is some minor skin infection......ditto. Suggestion - Wipe it out with a cotton bud and antiseptic twice a day and see how you get on. I'd certainly not even be going to my GP until I'd tried a few things first.
    I was considering going to an urgent care clinic because as you said, it's definitely not an emergency, but my primary care physician is not available on weekends and I don't want what might be a minor infection that I've already been dealing with several days to turn into something worse. The belly button is near a lot of important organs and I don't want a potential skin infection to turn inward and start attacking vital organs.

I agree with the others but do what you feel you need to do as the replies and reassurance aren't helping

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I've had this a few times. I just treat it with antifungal cream, and try to keep your belly button dry as you're already doing. Minor fungal infections thrive in warm, damp places. I'm not a doctor, so by all means see one if you're worried, but it's not something I'd seek medical attention for as an otherwise healthy adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    I've had this a few times. I just treat it with antifungal cream, and try to keep your belly button dry as you're already doing. Minor fungal infections thrive in warm, damp places. I'm not a doctor, so by all means see one if you're worried, but it's not something I'd seek medical attention for as an otherwise healthy adult.
    Would it be a bad idea to use both anti fungal cream and hydrogen peroxide, or should I use one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by beq45 View Post
    I was considering going to an urgent care clinic because as you said, it's definitely not an emergency, but my primary care physician is not available on weekends and I don't want what might be a minor infection that I've already been dealing with several days to turn into something worse. The belly button is near a lot of important organs and I don't want a potential skin infection to turn inward and start attacking vital organs.
    Don't you feel that is digging yourself into a rabbit hole with negative thinking? Aren't you leaping to the worst case scenarios for what is likely a minor health issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Don't you feel that is digging yourself into a rabbit hole with negative thinking? Aren't you leaping to the worst case scenarios for what is likely a minor health issue?
    Probably. I feel like I often think about the worst case scenario, but don't a lot of serious infections start off with small issues like this that people let go on for too long?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information