Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting fluoxetine after trying St John’s Wort

Starting fluoxetine after trying St John’s Wort

Hi all, I had 4.5 lovely years on Prozac and for some strange reason I decided to come off. Big mistake as after a few months the same anxiety and depression is back.

I have tried to help myself by accepting the anxiety and depression (Claire Weeks self help for your nerves) with some progress. I actually overcame the anxiety but have run out of energy and am starting to feel pretty desperate. I think it’s impatience that has got to me as I want to be better now rather than have to wait weeks for it. I have been taking St Johns wort over the last 3 weeks though (284 mg for 2.5 weeks and I am now taking double that but I am getting frustrated with that too). So now I am deciding to take Prozac as I know it has worked before.

I am a bit worried about the serotonin syndrome and so I am going to take only 284mg of SJW today and then Prozac the following day.

I will keep anyone posted on how I am doing as I realise that this is a strange situation.

Sally xxxxx

Re: Starting fluoxetine after trying St John’s Wort

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    I am a bit worried about the serotonin syndrome and so I am going to take only 284mg of SJW today and then Prozac the following day.
    That is too soon, Sally. There should be a 7 day washout period between stopping SJW and starting fluoxetine (Prozac). I suggest taking 284mg SJW for 2 days then quitting. The problem with SJW and other otc supplements is they don't always contain what it says on the label. They can have less, none, or more of the active ingredient (and sometimes other substances too), so it pays to be ultra cautious when switching to/from pharmaceuticals.

Thanks so much for this.

I read this online so I think it’s ok as long as you don’t take together:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16160619

Sorry wrong link- I meant to send this one:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...+John%92s+wort

read this online so I think it’s ok as long as you don’t take together:
    I suggest you discuss this with the physician prescribing the fluoxetine.

Thanks I have sent an email to my Gp but it looks like you are correct - at least a one week wash out period. I just don’t know how I am going to cope x

Well it’s been an awful day- I think I am suffering with anxiety as well as depression. I am just sort of pulling myself through the day. I want to start Prozac as soon as possible as know it takes a while to kick in and the frustration of having to wait a week feels like an eternity.

I know it’ll be good in the end but it feels like a life time away.

I feel so silly for trying St. John’s wort first - if only I have just taken the Prozac as I did before and I would be feeling a bit better by now.

But there we go.

I didn’t sleep much last night - just felt like my eyes were closed by I didn’t sleep. I guess my body is getting something from that as I don’t feel tired at all.

I am back to work tomorrow and it’ll be interesting to see how I’ll cope. I’m only in for four hours but I’m sure the worry of people seeing me I’ll will make me put a fake face on.

Hope all are feeling good x

I didn’t sleep much last night - just felt like my eyes were closed by I didn’t sleep. I guess my body is getting something from that as I don’t feel tired at all.
    If the insomnia continues ask your GP to prescribe a small dose of mirtazapine, Sally. It won't affect, or be affected by either SJW, or fluoxetine.
    I am back to work tomorrow and it’ll be interesting to see how I’ll cope. I’m only in for four hours but I’m sure the worry of people seeing me I’ll will make me put a fake face on.
    The catastrophised anticipation is almost always far worse than the reality. Go in and knock them dead. There is also something to be said for 'faking it until you make it', i.e. until you convince even yourself. Self-talk can lead us down the anxiety/depression rabbit hole and it can help get us back out of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    The catastrophised anticipation is almost always far worse than the reality. Go in and knock them dead. There is also something to be said for 'faking it until you make it', i.e. until you convince even yourself. Self-talk can lead us down the anxiety/depression rabbit hole and it can help get us back out of it too.
    Agreed. In my worst of times it has helped me to put motivational reminders around my house...such as one on the ceiling or wall reminding me I can get out of bed or a funny meme on the inside of my door to make me laugh before I leave the house.

Thank you so much for your support - I really need it right now x

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information