Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Starting fluoxetine after trying St John’s Wort

Re: Starting fluoxetine after trying St John’s Wort

Yes it’s true- now that I am up- I am definitely feeling better. Thanks for your support Pulisa. I just wish this knightmare would end x

Ok so I am way past the stage of where I should have been feeling serotonin syndrome (unless anyone knows otherwise). I have been taking FLU for over 24 hours today and have been off of St Johns wort for over a week. I hope that this thread helps anyone who has been taking SJW and decides it’s jot working and wants to try a medication prescribed by the doctor.

In hindsight - I probably would not have taken SJW without speaking to a doctor first. It does promise to be like prozac but without the side effects. It promises to be a softer option and something you can dabble in and out of.

It may well have worked for me- but the fact that there was nobody who could guide me on dosage and what to expect - made me want to come off of it and try something that I can actually speak to a doctor about.

If in the future anyone wants to ask me about the transition from SJW to an mainstream antidepressant- please feel free to email me- but I am not a doctor.

All the best,

Sally

I am now closing this thread and may start a fluoxetine diary in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    How comes the anti histamine works one day but not the next x
    The fluoxetine hadn't had time to come up to full 'speed' the first time, Sally. Most find fluoxetine stimulating, especially at the beginning. While this is an advantage for depression it can make sleep hard to achieve during this time. If insomnia continued to be an issue ask your doctor to prescribe something stronger than promethazine.

It may well have worked for me- but the fact that there was nobody who could guide me on dosage and what to expect - made me want to come off of it and try something that I can actually speak to a doctor about.
    No doctor in Britain could truthfully give you more than a vague idea of what to take and what you might feel because he/she can't know what is actually in the supplement you buy. It might contain exactly what it claims on the label, but it could just as likely contain less, more, or something entirely different. OTOH, a German doctor could because they are able to write prescriptions for a standardised, pharmaceutical grade product to treat mild depression which contains the same dose of hypericum from pill to pill and batch to batch.

It promises to be a softer option and something you can dabble in and out of.
    If only it was that easy. SJW is not something you take when you're feeling low and an hour later your inner sun shines bright while birds twitter the hallelujah chorus. Just as with SSRIs, it takes many weeks to kick-in and it can produce many of the same initial side-effects as them too, particularly heightened anxiety and panic attacks. Anxiety and depression are serious, hard to budge disorders that aren't for dabbling.

It’s true - unless SJW comes under prescription- I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone at all.

I actually work for a shop that sells it- and we are given very little training - other than to say how it works. What good is that? We don’t know what dose people should take or how long they should take it for.

That is the reason I can off of it- as I would rather try something the doctors know a little more about. Yes fluoxetine is still a gamble as to whether it will work- but I feel as though I am more likely to recover going down the pharmaceutical route x

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information