Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting fluoxetine after trying St John’s Wort

Re: Starting fluoxetine after trying St John’s Wort

The very best of luck for today. At least you will have some structure to your day and it will help to pass the endless hours. Please let us know how you get on? I do hope that today will give you some motivation back-I'm sure people will be pleased to see you again x

Thanks Pulisa. That means so much right now. How are you doing? X

So my big problem at the moment is that I am feeling really rubbish and have to wait until I can even start the Prozac as I need to clear the St J W out of my system. I guess that is what the time issue is playing on my mind so much and the lack of ability to sleep makes it so much worse.

Weirdly, when I am on here or talking about my problems - then time seems to go too fast. I had to take my son to school today and was not late but left later than usual as I lost track of time. I know time should pass more quickly at work so I am looking forward to that- and am hoping I can keep it together.

I am sitting on the bus on the way in today and it is pouring of rain and what makes it worse someone has been sick on the window next to where I am sitting. It is on the outside - so not close to me but still gross. You couldn’t make it up eh?

I am wondering if I still need to take the st J W today or can I quit now. I was on 500mg for 3 days and 300mg for 2 weeks. The therapeutic dose is 900mg. There is absolutely no information but I want to get it out of my system ASAP. I can’t take with fluoxetine as there is a risk of too much serotonin and so serotonin syndrome which could be fatal.

I think once I am on fluoxetine - I am staying on for life. No more doctors telling me to wean off and that I need to stop taking it.

I am waffling on but I find it therapeutic to chat on here with people that understand what it is like to have time as your enemy. When I start fluoxetine/Prozac there will be a countdown as to when it kicks in and so that is why I am so anxious to get on it- literally anxious. But hey hoo- I have to sit with the anxiety and depression for another week bare back before I start treatment x

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    I am wondering if I still need to take the st J W today or can I quit now. I was on 500mg for 3 days and 300mg for 2 weeks. The therapeutic dose is 900mg. There is absolutely no information
    That's the problem with supplements, there is not a lot to go on, but I think you should be okay stopping after 2 days on 284mg SJW.

I think once I am on fluoxetine - I am staying on for life. No more doctors telling me to wean off and that I need to stop taking it.
    For many people anxiety, or depression will be a one off episode so it is a good idea to wean off ADs after about 12 months. But for some of us these are chronic conditions which wax and wane, but never completely go away in which case there is an argument for remaining permanently medicated because antidepressants, especially SSRIs, may become progressively less effective every time they are stopped and restarted, often requiring higher doses to achieve the previous level of control, or not working at all. They may also produce more severe, and/or different, initial side-effects. Two studies, Amsterdam JD, 2016 and Amsterdam JD, 2009, found the likelihood of antidepressants working after each restart drops by between 19-25% (see also: Bosman RC, 2018; Amsterdam JD, 2009; Leykin Y, 2007); Paholpak S, 2002).

Hey Mitch

I don't get it. You drive have a family and a job? Your first post made it sound like you spent 24 hours in bed

Please disregard the advice I gave you coz N/A

I was going to warn you about taking Prozac again but PDU already done that. When you stop an AD then retake it, it very often doesn't work the second time. Happened to me and my dear ole mom. Anyway, see what your doc say

It's your response that matters though. Just knowing that you are back on Prozac might help you initially and if you can access some talking therapy quickly then the combination could make you feel safer and more supported. I know how hard it is to get therapy though on the NHS-decent therapy that is.

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    Hey Mitch

I don't get it. You drive have a family and a job? Your first post made it sound like you spent 24 hours in bed

Please disregard the advice I gave you coz N/A

I was going to warn you about taking Prozac again but PDU already done that. When you stop an AD then retake it, it very often doesn't work the second time. Happened to me and my dear ole mom. Anyway, see what your doc say
    It's about getting through the hours not about staying in bed all day

Hi all, thank you for all your support and help at the moment - it means so much.

No I don’t sit in bed all day but probably would if I were able to. I have a son who I have to do the school run for and I have returned to work today after 5 days off (I was just not rotaed for 5 days- work don’t know what is happening with me at the moment). Whilst it’s night time though the time just drags and you help in general Lebonvin is very helpful.

I have been able to detect that it is anxiety that is worse than ever today. Because I just need to pull myself through this week and get off the St. John’s wort before I can start antidepressants. It feels like an eternity.

Do I really need to take one more 284mg today Down under? Yesterday was my first day on 284mg- I was on 500mg for 3 days before that.

Also, this information about going back on antidepressants and them not working is really scaring me. This will be the 4th time that I go on them and they have worked every time but I have noticed it takes longer and I have to go to a higher dose each time. I haven’t noticed that they have stopped working overtime though. I was on them for 4.5 years on my last stint and they were a huge life line. Now I am not sure what to do- do I try something else this time?

Feeling okish in the evening which is a relief. I even managed to play with my son a bit.

Tomorrow will be the first day without taking any form of anti depressant. The first day of the St. John’s wort wash out period x

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    It's about getting through the hours not about staying in bed all day
    So that's how you do it lol couldn't understand how folk was able to copy what someone said and put in theirs own post

Yeah we know now but Mrs. Mitch never made that clear at the beginning so I gave her a lot of advice that was N/A coz she don't spend all days in bed

Depression is awful whether yous got a job or not.

I suggested she might be doing the Claire Weekes accept gig wrong but she never had much to say about that

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information