Thread: Rectal Pressure and loose stool

Rectal Pressure and loose stool

Hi,

Long term lurker but my first post. I've had HA on and off for years but am currently in a real bad 6 month spell with it.

For about 6 weeks I have had loose stools in the morning. Not every day but more often than not. They tend to be more formed later in the day so I have tried to ride it out. Whats done me this time though is a pressure in my rectum like I need a BM but nothings forthcoming. If I strain I tend to just pass mucus. Obviously I'm now convinced I must have bowel cancer and im a wreck. Doesn't help that I committed the cardinal sin of googling and was awash with stories of terminal diagnoses in people in their thirties. Sigh. Back to the lorazepam.

Anyway I saw my GP and was told, as usual, this is a stress response but she did ask for a stool test of which im awaiting the results. She never really said what I was being tested for.

I'm not looking for reassurance, it never works anyway. Just needed an outlet.

Re: Rectal Pressure and loose stool

I had this for a month or so and it eventually went away- it was caused by either hemorrhoid/s or tense muscles from anxiety- most likely tense muscles

Cheers Toby, at least I know it can be caused by something that isn't sinister! I expect to get my stool results today. Fully expecting them to find blood so this whole thing goes up another notch, if that's even possible!

I've had these symptoms off & on for decades...stress and anxiety seem to be the culprit in my case, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Hang tough, Benny.

Cheers Manco, the pressure is still there but been a bit more intermittent the last couple of days.

I'm trying to be rational about it but health anxiety and rationality aren't good friends! I'll be glad when this latest anxiety flare subsides that's for sure. Been a bad one.

Hang in there, Benny, this too will pass. I'm guilty of losing patience during that waiting period, which tends to make my anxiety worse, etc etc...the 'ole Snowball Effect. Hang tough, brother.

Just a little update on this....

Loose stools seem to have sorted themselves out but now are thin and ribbon like more often than not. Pressure is still there though. Comes and goes but ive had it constantly the past few days. That's what concerns me the most! I'm convinced there's something growing and that's what I can feel.

I've been to the docs twice since my original post. She has said shes sure its anxiety causing a tight muscle there which is also why my stools are flat. I haven't had a DRE but she is an excellent dr fully aware of my HA so maybe she doesn't think its necessary?

Does anybody know if they check for blood in a routine stool sample?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennyjj81 View Post
    Just a little update on this....

Loose stools seem to have sorted themselves out but now are thin and ribbon like more often than not. Pressure is still there though. Comes and goes but ive had it constantly the past few days. That's what concerns me the most! I'm convinced there's something growing and that's what I can feel.

I've been to the docs twice since my original post. She has said shes sure its anxiety causing a tight muscle there which is also why my stools are flat. I haven't had a DRE but she is an excellent dr fully aware of my HA so maybe she doesn't think its necessary?

Does anybody know if they check for blood in a routine stool sample?
    If you do have hemorrhoids there could be intermittent blood in a stool sample so that doesn't prove much. As I understand it the Dr can indicate the test to be checked for occult blood as well as for other pathogens.

You can also get proctitis of the anus/rectum, which is benign inflammation which causes the same symptoms as you had.

Thread Information