Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completely and utterly fed up

Completely and utterly fed up

The title sums up how I feel. I am in constant pain. I have pain in both forearms which is made worse by working at a computer all day. I have neck and shoulder pains which again is probably made worse by my desk job as well. I have had this on and off for nearly 2 months. I keep worrying it's something worse. Neurological conditions. The anxiety surrounding this probably makes my symptoms worse and the cycle continues. I've seen 4 separate doctors if you include a walk in centre doctor. None of them believed i have anything to worry about per se. The last doctor referred me to musculoskeletal department but thinks my issues are purely physiological so to speak. I have also been referred to CBT for my anxiety. I'm fed up of being in pain. I have a 1 year old and a pregnant girlfriend. I'm so embroiled in my own world of pain (physical and emotional) I dont pay attention to them. I feel like a waste or space and worthless. My arms won't get better. My neck won't get better. The neck problem kicked this off after I woke up with a sore neck after a work out the night before. I'm sure the neck issues started with poor posture at work. The problems in my arm started a few weeks later when I was so tense and anxious and believe I injured them working out but they just dont get better now from what I assume is keyboard and mouse use. Is this all anxiety? I'm at the end of my tether I really am.

Re: Completely and utterly fed up

Is it worse in the morning and better when you move? Does it respond to anti-inflammatory medication like Advil or Aleve?

I'm going through the same thing with my neck and shoulders. It's driving me spare.

Are you going to therapy and do you take any anti-depressants? The pain is not the issue here, how you deal with it is, and obviously you are dealing with it in a very bad way. Try to deal with the most obvious problem first, anxiety, for which you will probably need therapy and/or medication.

I would say both conditions are usually better in the morning however if I sleep 'funny' my neck can be particularly sore in the morning and will loosen up as the day goes on. I dont take anti depressants I'm doing my best not to go on them but it is getting to the point where I may have no other option. I have CBT booked in for next month unfortunately there is a long waiting list. Other than that I try and meditate but I find it difficult to get in a routine and stick with it.

Do you find anything in particular helps? I'm sure the arms and neck pain are related somehow - tightness, tension etc

I would strongly consider medication. It is not the enemy and you need to get better mentally for your family.

You have pain, yes, and currently you can't do much about it other than doing some stretches, massage and doing proper exercises. How you deal with that pain though is 100% your choice, remember that.

Meds will definitely help your mood and your relationship to the pain. You might need to try a few before you find something that fits. The pain is bloody oppressive though.

I find walking really really helps. Sitting in the office is murder on my neck.

What you have said is exactly right I think. I dwell on the pain all the time which makes it worse. Thank you. I will consider the meds if this doesn't improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information