Thread: Anyone been put on Folic Acid to help with Depression?

Anyone been put on Folic Acid to help with Depression?

Hi everyone Mr Scotts here, nice to find this wonderful place. I have PTSD and severe anxiety and depression. Just out of hospital and was told I have to take 1 in the morning for 3 months along with my other meds.

Was told my levels were very low and that the suspect it played a part in me trying to take my own life.

As this is new to me wondering if anyone else was given it and how long before they noticed any improvement?

Many thanks for any replies,
    Scotts

Re: Anyone been put on Folic Acid to help with Depression?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
    Hi everyone Mr Scotts here,
    Welcome to No More Panic, Mr Scotts,

just out of hospital and was told I have to take 1 in the morning for 3 months along with my other meds.

Was told my levels were very low
    Some people have a genetic mutation which inhibits their ability to produce the enzyme, methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR), required to efficiently convert folate into a form the body can use so they are deficient in this vitamin. Not only are they more susceptible to developing anxiety and/or depression (and several other disorders), but they respond less well to antidepressants.

The general folate supplements sold in health stores are not suitable as they require MTHFR, but the body can use folate in the form of L-Methylfolate, aka levomefolic acid, which is what you've probably been prescribed.

how long before they noticed any improvement?
    Unfortunately, this is one of those how long is a piece of string questions which can only be answered with, it depends. It isn't just a matter of increasing folate levels and everything immediately gets better. Once your folate levels are up the antidepressant I assume you're taking should begin to work better, but because of the way they work it will likely be some weeks before you notice a significant improvement.

Ian

Re: Anyone been put on Folic Acid to help with Depression?

Hello Ian thank you for the welcome. I've been here before few years back and forgot my username lol

I imagine since I've got a 3 month script with another blood test after, that that's roughly what they think will be sufficient time for levels to come back.

1 month in I've already noticed less random muscle jerks that were becoming very noticeable and causing more anxiety.

Thread Information