Thread: Carbon monoxide detector went off last night and have been worrying about it all day

Carbon monoxide detector went off last night and have been worrying about it all day

Hi All. OK, so I have two CO detectors in my flat. One in the boiler cupboard and one in another room. The one by the boiler is older - I think about 4-5 years old. The other one I bought about 2 years ago-ish, maybe even a year ago.

So last night the older alarm by the boiler went off. It was the alarm sound, not a battery sound (4 beeps over and over again). I immediately went and got the other one and put it in the boiler cupboard. It has a digital readout on it so you can see what the levels are. It read 0ppm - i.e no leaks detected. It still reads 0ppm today.

I switched out the batteries of the old detector (the one that went off) and put it back in the boiler cupboard. I tested the newer one using an incense stick to make sure it was working and it seems to be working fine. Now, both detectors have been in the boiler cupboard since last night. Our boiler is due a service and I've got the boiler guy coming to service it on Tuesday. In the meantime, please reassure me that, as the detectors are not going off, and the newer one is reading 0ppm, then there is NOT A CO LEAK IN THIS HOUSE! Ugh.

Thanks

Re: Carbon monoxide detector went off last night and have been worrying about it all

5 years is pretty old for something like that, it's very possible it's just malfunctioning. If you can get a new one for the boiler cupboard, I think you'll be better off.

That said, good you're getting the boiler checked but since the other one didn't read any CO and the older one has gone back to not reading any CO, you're fine.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Carbon monoxide detector went off last night and have been worrying about it all

Thanks Poppy! It was all fine of course

Thread Information