Thread: Shortness of breath for months

Shortness of breath for months

Back in May I suddenly began feeling short of breath. I wasn’t anxious at the time and had never felt this before. Sometimes it felt really bad, other times not so much or barely there, but it was always there in the background. It felt like the constriction was in the lower part of my throat where it meets my chest, and it did also sometimes have a slight wheezy/ cough / infection like quality.

A few days after first noticing it I ended up in A&E. As well as the shortness of breath I got hot, pale and lightheaded and my heart started fluttering for 10 minutes. At A&E everything was normal but I was tachycardic for over an hour afterwards. The breathlessness continued and two weeks later I ended up in A&E again as I felt it was very difficult to catch my breath. I was convinced i had something like pneumonia but again all tests were fine and my sats were 100%

The breathlessness finally went away after about 3 months but then three weeks later it came back. I still have it now but it isn’t as bad. I feel it most when I’m active (walking etc) and not all the time like I did. I’ve put it down to having some sort of viral infection, but 4 months seems like a long time to have viral symptoms. Has anybody had anything similar to this?

Re: Shortness of breath for months

To point out the obvious, it might just be anxiety. Breathlessness that magically goes away for three weeks is not something you should be concerned about. Anything sinister would be progressively worse with time and not better.

I have this same symptons. My shortness of breath gets worse when standing/walking. How did you resolve?

I suspect a tensed or paralyzed diaphragm? I still have this problem.

Thread Information