Thread: Lead Poisoning Fear

Lead Poisoning Fear

Everyday I have a continuous fear of lead poisoning, I work around lead a lot I wash my hands with hot water and soap but I'm always scared of lead being on my clothes or still on my hands. I've noticed mental problems but that could all be fake knowing anxiety. Anyone have any tips?

Re: Lead Poisoning Fear

What precisely do you do, if I might ask? My lead exposure comes from handling solder and electronics in general and I always wash my hands after using it before eating - but no more. Many of my colleagues don't though!

The most likely cause of any mental problems you have are from anxiety about the material, not the material itself. I have a similar trigger with another heavy metal, cadmium - although that's easing nowadays.

I appreciate it will cost you being in the US, but a simple blood test will reveal if you have this metal in your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    What precisely do you do, if I might ask? My lead exposure comes from handling solder and electronics in general and I always wash my hands after using it before eating - but no more. Many of my colleagues don't though!

The most likely cause of any mental problems you have are from anxiety about the material, not the material itself. I have a similar trigger with another heavy metal, cadmium - although that's easing nowadays.

I appreciate it will cost you being in the US, but a simple blood test will reveal if you have this metal in your system.

Yeah I handle solder

If your sole exposure is solder (and I'm assuming you must be doing electrical/metal/ornamental work for it to still be leaded, unless you still use leaded solder in the US for plumbing systems) then I really would not trouble yourself over it. I've been involved with the stuff in electronic work for well over forty years now, almost on a daily basis. Bar, wire, cream or solder pellets, by the way?

You'll be fine

Solder Wire, Why do you ask?

I was just idly wondering if you used solder in any fashion that could generate any dust that might get on your clothes but you would appear to use the stuff in the same way as I do, hence my question - and your answer reinforces my belief that you have nothing to worry about

Carry on, just do as the makers of solder wires advise which is to wash your hands after use.

Thread Information