Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physicall ill now as well - can't carrying on like this

Physicall ill now as well - can't carrying on like this

Waiting for a hospital appointment at the moment following tests which sounds as though it could be Inflammatory Bowel Disease Already struggling with depression and anxiety. I feel lost. Can't live like this anymore but how do I even start to change things. I'm tired and losing hope that I can beat any of this and start to live. I don't live at the moment I'm just existing. I hate my life and I hate me. This further health problem is just the last straw and I can't cope with it. I know that someone I've got to change my thinking but just don't know how to try anymore. My glass isn't half empty it's totally drained. Someone please tell me it doesn't have to be like this!

Re: Physicall ill now as well - can't carrying on like this

Hi polar bear- sorry to hear this. Anxiety and depression is the pits without this worry ok top of it. What makes you think it is inflammatory bowel disorder? If it is, what are your worries about what may happen?

Thanks Mrsmitchell. After blood and stool tests my GP saw me and said they had found protein which is an indicator of inflammation in the body and IBD. My worries if it is are a further "shrinking" of my world I think. Still trying to find out if there are any foods that are causing me problems. Always enjoyed my food and may have to cut out so much. Also at the moment getting lots of stomach pains and worried about getting out and about without any problems. All this seemed to start about two months ago when I was away from home. All of a sudden felt dreadful and had diarrhea. Pulled out of going somewhere this weekend as worried one about all the pains and also making sure I'm not to far from a loo. Not knowing yet I hate as well. If it is IBD sounds like meds etc for rest of my life. Just not coping well with all of this. Worrying about it of course isn't helping either!

I don’t have the answers but I can relate. I started getting frequent diarrhoea over a period of about seven months. Did a stool sample which had raised calprotectin which made me panic. A pharmacist helpfully called me with the result the day before I went on holiday abroad and told me I had IBD. I was already worried about having diarrhoea on holiday and had such a melt down that I cancelled the holiday! I never had diarrhoea again after that and the next stool sample was negative. It wasn’t IBD even though the pharmacist said it was. More likely an infection in my case...

Oh wow- see what anxiety can do to us knickers in a twist! Glad it was something that went away quickly and sorry you lost a holiday out of it.

Polar bear- I know what you mean- depression and anxiety are heavy as it is but this will make the load feel unbearable. So the worst case scenario is that you may have to take pills for the rest of your life - would that be so bad? X

You will also find coping strategies - such as making sure you can get to a toilet if you need to.i was diagnosed with tinnitus (ringing in the ears) at 21. I remember thinking how am I going to cope with clubbing etc - but eventually I found ways of coping such as carrying ear plugs around with me so that I don’t get further ear damage which exacerbates it. You will find your groove if it is IBD.

When is your appointment/ when are the results coming out?

My appointment with the consultant is 31st October so have to wait a month. When I was writing my previous message I was thinking my thoughts on foods sounded silly and you're right really re taking tablets isn't so bad especially if it manages the problem. Knickers in a twist - your experience regarding the calprotectin levels that were raised on your test makes me think. This time last week I was feeing much better. Something like an infection crossed my mind and then i felt awful again he following day. So after this has lasted so long was thinking it couldn't be that but maybe it could. What a stupid pharmacist. Wish my GP hadn't said anything at all about what it might be.

I can relate, and sympathize. I had irritable bowel starting at age 16 and missed a lot of high school events and social things as a result. This continued through most of my adult life with occasional periods of relief but you still always worry about it coming back when you're not prepared. 15 years ago I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis. It was so bad that I was housebound and was using the toilet about 20 times a day, always urgently. I know where every toilet is in every place I go, and every rest stop on the roads. It's a horrible way to live, and there were even times when I would need to attend an event and would wear protective clothing!

However, I am now living a normal life with a very cooperative digestive tract. Yes, I am on meds, and there have been many that we have tried, some work for a while, some don't work at all, and some cause other problems that cause me to discontinue. But the good news is there are SO MANY medications and treatments for digestive issues that you will find one that works, IF you even need one. The med I am on now we recently found is possibly causing some damage to my liver, but we are monitoring it for 6 months. If it does, then I guess I'm onto another medication, but the good news is, a NORMAL life IS possible! It's unfortunate that you have to wait a month for your appointment - does Immodium work for you?
    Sue
    Last edited by DustingMyselfOff; 01-10-19 at 17:55.

Thanks Sue. Sorry to hear about the problems you have had. Hope that your current meds are ok and not damaging. Immodium has worked for me. Glad that a normal life is possible. I just need to get used to things I think and as you say don't even know what's going to happen yet.

Range of symptoms seem to exchanging a bit. Have cut down a lot on what I'm eating and cutting out lots off things that are likely to cause problems. BM's slowed done. Abdominal pain strange as seems so erratic in terms of when and where

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    You will also find coping strategies - such as making sure you can get to a toilet if you need to.i was diagnosed with tinnitus (ringing in the ears) at 21. I remember thinking how am I going to cope with clubbing etc - but eventually I found ways of coping such as carrying ear plugs around with me so that I don’t get further ear damage which exacerbates it. You will find your groove if it is IBD.

When is your appointment/ when are the results coming out?
    I developed tinnitus as a result of making music growing up and listening to it loud in headphones. It sucks as it's started to get worse and more frequent. I've constantly got a television noise in my ears, which is bearable because I oddly enjoy the noise that would come from old TV's. I don't notice it's there unless I focus on it. But sometimes the ringing is more high pitched. And then it can go away for a while and come back after I listen to music too loud. My actual hearing seems to be in tact though.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information