Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Physicall ill now as well - can't carrying on like this

Re: Physicall ill now as well - can't carrying on like this

Just thought I would post a quick update. I saw a gastroenterologist and she is thinking my issue is Post Infectious IBS. She wants me to do another stool test to check calpectin levels and then do a colonoscopy if that abnormal

Meanwhile my symptoms are all over the place. Certainly needed the Immodium a few times in the last couple of weeks! Started taking Colofac as well which seems to be helping. Getting a lot of indigestion and heartburn as well. Anyone had IBS that was triggered in this way? Has it gone away?

Hey Polar Bear!

Hope you're well! How are things going for you?

I am writing as I am in a very similar situation as you. So I have been suffering with stomach issues for a good few months now. Diarrhea, mucus and stomach pain. I saw my GP about it on 24th Oct and she ordered a stool test and colonoscopy (all at the same time). When I called back about my stool test the receptionist said it came back normal. I then had my Colonoscopy on the 11th Nov, my nerves were obviously shot during it, so I was in a bad way. However the colonoscopy didn't show anything but very mild patchy erythema at the end of my colon. They have taken biopsies and have said to wait 2-3 weeks for the results. However yesterday my GP rings me and 3 weeks later is telling me that the stool test shows my calprotecin level is 64 and normal is 50. So now, being the anxious person I am. I am stressing that I have possible IBD.

She rang and asked "have you booked in your Colonoscopy?" and I said I've already done it. She seemed surprised and then said, oh maybe they are waiting to send me the details with the biopsy results. If it comes back clear then she will do another stool test.

The guy who did my colonoscopy didn't seem worried and even said nothing to worry about before I was wheeled into recovery. The slight patchy redness he asked if I take a lot of ibuprofen and I said no, which I don't. He then said cause I have been complaining about the symptoms for a while, he thought he should take biopsies to be sure.

Like you, the thought of having IBD and a condition for life really depresses me. Also the fear of it getting worse and having a terrible flare up or the increased chance of bowel cancer and having to have regular colonoscopies - which aren't the nicest tests to have done!

Normally the stool test results are given first and then you are referred for a colonoscopy. I am quite annoyed that it took my GP almost 4 weeks to contact me about the raise in Calprotectin levels and after my Colonoscopy. After my Colonoscopy I felt quite good and calm and the diarrhoea stopped. Now I am back to panicking that the biopsy results will say IBD! So fed up!

Has anyone had a similar issue and it not being IBD?

Thanks!

Thanks for your response Pia. Our circumstances certainly sound similar as you say. I had a call from the gastroenterologist and she said she wanted to order a colonoscopy despite me not having had another stool test. She wants this for reassurance due to my symptoms but also my age (I've just turned 65). She said it was routine as she still thinks I've got PI IBS. I'm waiting for a date for this at the moment. My calprotecin level when I did a stool test was 62.

Interesting that your diarrhoea stopped after the colonoscopy when you were calm. Maybe that should tell us something.

My symptoms are still so variable. Bowel movements a lot better in the past week. Have started taking some probiotics tablets. Like you I'm worried about managing all this and flare ups.

Hopefully someone will respond to your question and has had similar to us and it wasn't IBD. The doctor certainly seems to think IBS in my case.

Try to stay positive until you get your biopsy results

Hi Polar Bear,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Yes, our symptoms are very similar. I turned 30 this year but my GP still booked me in for a colonoscopy. I think my anxiety has just got worse due to the order things have gone in. Normally they give you stool test results and then refer you for a colonoscopy. I guess I should be calmer then I am as I have had the colonoscopy and apart from some mild patchy redness nothing was found and the physician was not very concerned. They said the biopsy is more to see if there's anything microscopic, however I'm unsure.

Yes, I am not sure if it was the clear out (moviprep) that helped my symptoms but it did calm down and it was probably my nerves, which my GP has ruined again! I do notice that my symptoms are so much worse when I'm stressed. So yes, that should tell us something.

I hope things clear up for you too and you get the answers soon. Do you know when your colonoscopy is?

Thank you! Really hoping they say its nothing but my anxious self doesn't allow me to stay positive. Glad your symptoms are a bit better now!

I am the same, my symptoms vary and so does the pain. I did the stool test after

Well I finally got a hospital appointment for a colonoscopy. Going in tomorrow morning so I'm taking the prep this afternoon / evening. Will be glad when it's all over! Have been feeling a lot better but want the re-assurance that I hope tomorrow will bring that it's what they are suspecting i.e. post infection IBS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information