Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go again.... melanoma? :(

Re: Here we go again.... melanoma? :(

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    Here's the mole, I think it went red because of all the scratching etc

It's after and before for some reason: https://imgur.com/a/5n416Pr

It doesn't itch anymore and I asked my mum and she said it looked round but I think she was lying to me
    ^ but like you said.

If the difference is it's red then it's just been disturbed. Turning red because you are digging your nails into it causing inflammation & bleeding isn't the same as it changing shape and changing to some ugly colour.

Also when you peck at things they may heal in different shapes simply because of how they crust over and how the skin around it has been disturbed.

What does your mum think?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    Thanks Terry... but if you saw the latest picture I took you'd probably freak out too. I truly think this is it. I would bet £1000 on it. It has many hallmarks of a cancerous mole

I know it's annoying but right now I'm in panic mode. I guess people without HA wouldn't panic this much but people without HA get cancer :(

I am trying relaxation techniques and reassuring myself that it might be something innocent but the odds aren't in my favor here
    But if they all ignored real cancers they would be dying in droves and the NHS would be all over it. They aren't and they aren't.

The point is people without HA also get lumps & bumps all over their bodies throughout their lifetimes but they don't head for a doctor every time they come across something. Those that do, are on here or similar for a reason.

Rationalise. You've been disturbing a mole so it's disturbed. Aren't the odds more in favour that it's a mole that has been picked rather than a cancer that has coincidentally been picked at?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    ^ but like you said.

If the difference is it's red then it's just been disturbed. Turning red because you are digging your nails into it causing inflammation & bleeding isn't the same as it changing shape and changing to some ugly colour.

Also when you peck at things they may heal in different shapes simply because of how they crust over and how the skin around it has been disturbed.

What does your mum think?
    True, I guess, but I don't know what the original colour was, maybe it'd always been funny. I think I checked it after picking it a lot but I can't remember that well... last time I showed the GP a reddish mole, they said that it had trauma applied to it which is why it looked funny. But with this one, it's the shape and size too, I can't tell if it's greater than 6mm because I don't have a ruler but I feel like it might well be. And the shape looks a little jagged in parts but I can't tell 100% because it's in an awkward place

Really? Oh dear god I'm hoping that's the case. We shall see :(

& my mum thinks I'm overreacting but she's also the one who still has on and off stomach problems but isn't going to the GP. Plus she said it looked 'perfectly round' but I think she must've been lying to try and make me feel better - but she said I should go to the doctors if I want to. She really never shares the same opinions as me

But if they all ignored real cancers they would be dying in droves and the NHS would be all over it. They aren't and they aren't.

The point is people without HA also get lumps & bumps all over their bodies throughout their lifetimes but they don't head for a doctor every time they come across something. Those that do, are on here or similar for a reason.

Rationalise. You've been disturbing a mole so it's disturbed. Aren't the odds more in favour that it's a mole that has been picked rather than a cancer that has coincidentally been picked at?
    Part of my superstitious mind is always like, if you ignore it and shrug it off, then this will be the one

And yeah I know, my dad and grandma are covered in moles, and my other grandma had a suspicious one but it turned out to be benign. But if you saw the one in question, you'd FREAK OUT I promise you, or at least those red flags would sign in your head... it's a nightmare to look at, but then again, so was the last mole I was worrying about.

Also, what if those two armpit lymph nodes were temporarily swollen because of the possible melanoma. They went down but still

I'm sure, I hope, you'll be right about this... I have a long night ahead of me though

EDIT: Thanks for taking the time to reply by the way it's really helped

I agree with your mum. She is a lot more objective about such things than you are.

If you want to live on a knife edge all your life you will eventually die because we all do. What does that achieve? You could be knocked down by a bus that HAers don't care about because it's not part of your anxiety focus and one reason why anxious people stand out for being irrational.

When you come back from the GP watch how long it takes for your subconscious to start hinting all the flaws in the GP assessment and that one chance a GP gets it wrong because of xyz.

Get onto something else to distract your mind. Can you do some A-Level work?

I agree with your mum. She is a lot more objective about such things than you are.

If you want to live on a knife edge all your life you will eventually die because we all do. What does that achieve? You could be knocked down by a bus that HAers don't care about because it's not part of your anxiety focus and one reason why anxious people stand out for being irrational.

When you come back from the GP watch how long it takes for your subconscious to start hinting all the flaws in the GP assessment and that one chance a GP gets it wrong because of xyz.

Get onto something else to distract your mind. Can you do some A-Level work?
    I was going to recap some content tonight but I literally feel SICK. I make myself do it in the day though, I did it this afternoon even after discovering the mole.

It's not melanoma, you're way too young ... but do get it checked out ie by your Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    It's not melanoma, you're way too young ... but do get it checked out ie by your Dr.
    I read that it can form at any age- but I will do, thank you

It wasn't cancer... I'm so shocked

She took one look at it and said it looks like it's just scabbing because I scratched it and it's too small compared to melanomas

I'm sorry everyone for being so dramatic. The picture was so alarming though

You need to remember this next time you panic then. As I said overreacting causing yourself more stress. You were 100% sure you were going to die last night.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information